Saturday, November 20, 2010

GreenBkk Formula 1 | Webber and I don't have to be friends - Vettel

Webber and I don't have to be friends - Vettel

Credit: ESPN F1 (espn.com)

Sebastian Vettel: "We respect each other and that is a good basis" © Getty Images

Sebastian Vettel believes he does not have to be friends with Mark Webber to be his team-mate in 2011, as long as they have mutual respect.

The level of animosity between the two Red Bull drivers came to the surface at the Turkish Grand Prix after the pair clashed on track while racing for the lead. After winning the British Grand Prix Webber said his performance was "Not bad for a No.2 driver" and went on to claim the team was emotionally backing Vettel ahead of the Brazilian Grand Prix.

During a series of press conferences this week, they said they had talked over their differences and Webber revealed that he plans to stay at Red Bull in 2011.

In an interview with Formula One's official website, Vettel added: "Immediately after the race we had a long conversation. He came over to congratulate me and we took the chance to speak. There have been some things that annoyed me over the course of the year and vice versa. We've had the chance to set the record straight.

"I would not say that we have become fond of each other after that conversation, because there have been reasons why we collided, but we respect each other and that is a good basis."

Looking back on his championship-winning season, Vettel said the turning point had come after his accident with Jenson Button at the Belgian Grand Prix, which left him over 30 points behind championship leader Lewis Hamilton.

"In Spa I admit I made a mistake," he told formulaone.com. "In my opinion, it wasn't a grave one because I just tried to get past somebody and it didn't work out. After that I was massively criticized, including by the media. That was a real lesson for me - probably the most important of the whole season.

"Before that I was a kind of favourite and had to learn to live with the situation, learn to only listen to a small circle of people and invest my energy only in those few, because you know you will get some of that energy back. Monza was next and that persistence was rewarded with P4. It was a very special race in terms of my attitude. From that race on I was able to let loose. I still strongly believed I could win the title, and could do so without clenching up."

Credit: ESPN F1 (espn.com)


No comments:

Post a Comment