Sunday, November 21, 2010

GreenBkk Auto | 2010 Dodge Dakota Laramie Crew Cab

2010 Dodge Dakota Laramie Crew Cab

Credit: Auto Week (www.autoweek.com)

COPY EDITOR CYNTHIA L. OROSCO-WRIGHT: This truck got a tour of southeast Michigan over the weekend as we drove it to a high school football game, to a mall, the grocery store and to deliver a lawn mower. The Dakota handled all of the tasks with no problem, although on many occasions, it felt as if the truck had a mind of its own. Around curves and on straight shots of road, it felt as if you were losing control of the truck. The steering seemed to switch between light and heavy, so maybe that was part of it. Even when we found open stretches of expressway, topping 75 mph left you a bit leery. Thankfully, the brakes were solid.

Otherwise, the Dakota was a solid ride. The step-in was manageable for me and not a problem for my co-driver. The seats were comfy and there was plenty of legroom. There also was a ton of storage space up front for a bottle of water or pop, keys, phones, etc. All of the controls on the center stack were at reach and easy to use. The bed easily fit our lawn mower and a gasoline container, and later that day, a dozen or more bags of groceries and a case of bottled water.

This seems to be the size of truck one might consider just because she likes trucks but also because she wants the ability to carry more than one passenger and the ability to tote larger stuff when necessary.

ASSISTANT ART DIRECTOR/DESIGNER TARA KLEIN: I drove this truck with ease and pride. From all angles, this is a good-looking vehicle. The design features sharp angles and body lines that carve into the body of the truck, and paired with the stance, these attributes gave it an aggressive appearance. The Dakota has the heart, presence and feel of a large truck, but it's disguised as a smaller one.

The interior continued to please me when I was greeted with an ample amount of storage. The area above the glovebox was instantly the home for my alternate pair of glasses and a few other items. The center console was also populated with cubbies and compartments that I used for my phone and my drink. There was actually so much space allocated for storage that I didn't have enough stuff to fill it. (Mind you, if this were my daily driver, I'd find plenty to put in these places, and simply having the ability to do this without clutter is a huge benefit.)

The rest of the interior was polished and well composed. All of the controls were located sensibly, making them easy to use and manipulate. The streamlined backlit dash cluster was also easy on my eyes.

The Dakota handled well, especially when I needed it most. I never felt out of control like Cindy did, even when it easily could have gotten messy.

Case in point: On my commute home on my second night with this truck, a large object fell out of the Jeep in front of me and made a beeline for my noggin, scratching the hood on its way up. Luckily, I was behind the strong and trusty windshield, which took the brunt of the force. The sound of the impact was incredibly loud and jarring. Before I could even process what was happening, I went from a leisurely drive home to pulling over with a destroyed windshield. As I rolled to a stop I could still hear the crackling of the glass, and I took a moment to collect myself.

Once I calmed down, I reflected on not only how lucky I was to have been protected by the windshield, but also on how well the Dakota (and I--pat on the back) handled the situation without a hitch.

All in all, this truck may be smaller but it's mighty. Even though my stint with it was short-lived, I'm glad I was in a strong, quality vehicle to get me through this mishap.

2010 Dodge Dakota Laramie Crew Cab

Base Price: $30,920

As-Tested Price: $34,085

Drivetrain: 3.7-liter V6; RWD, four-speed automatic

Output: 210 hp @ 5,200 rpm, 235 lb-ft @ 4,000 rpm

Curb Weight: 4,200 lb

Fuel Economy (EPA/AW): 17/15.5 mpg

Options: Media center including 30GB hard drive, 6.5-inch touch screen, GPS navigation, satellite radio, auto-dimming rearview mirror, Uconnect with voice command, satellite traffic ($1,445); extra security package including supplemental side-curtain front and rear airbags, four-wheel antilock brakes ($640); trailer-tow group including heavy-duty service group, heavy-duty engine cooling, auxiliary transmission oil cooler, power multifunction foldaway mirrors, class IV receiver hitch, 750-amp maintenance free battery, seven-pin wiring harness ($525); 18-inch chrome-clad aluminum wheels ($400); on-/off-road tires ($100); engine block heater ($35); fixed rear window with defroster ($20)

Credit: Auto Week (www.autoweek.com)


No comments:

Post a Comment