Wednesday, November 17, 2010

GreenBkk Auto | 2011 BMW Z4 sDrive35is

2011 BMW Z4 sDrive35is

Credit: Auto Week (http://www.autoweek.com)


EXECUTIVE EDITOR--AUTOWEEK.COM BOB GRITZINGER: Whenever I'm behind the wheel of a Z4, my mind invariably drifts back to the previous-generation Z3, which is now some eight years in the rearview mirror. Why? Because that car always seemed like a four-wheeled motorcycle to me: light, quick, balanced, mechanical and responsive to the slightest inputs. That doesn't mean this Z4, especially this near-M version, isn't a fabulous driver, but it is clearly bigger, heavier and offers more creature comfort than the previous car. The weight is staggering considering that the first Z4s could be had at about 3,000 pounds.

So while some of the old Z3's edge seems lost, BMW compensates with more power and more technology that takes the car from the past and well into the future. It offers the wicked 335-hp turbo 3.0-liter inline-six, which has to be among the best powerplants on the planet. Though there is a normal driving mode, thankfully BMW fitted the car with sport and sport-plus modes, the latter transforming the Z4 into a highly responsive, incredibly sharp-edged tool. The steering feels like it can turn tighter than is physically possible given the limitations of wheel wells and tire size, but it does. The net effect is a car that corners like a go-kart.

Given a little more seat time, thoughts of the Z3 might just be banished forever.


EXECUTIVE EDITOR ROGER HART: This would not be my first choice if I were shopping at the BMW store. It feels a bit heavy, and I guess at 3,500 pounds, it is heavy. But the motor is strong, and the dual-clutch transmission lets you get at all the horsepower and torque available. It's a fun car to drive with the ability to turn off all the traction and stability controls and toss the car around corners all day long, hanging the rear end out as you please. But if this could somehow go on a diet and lose 500 pounds, it would be even more fun.

The ride felt kind of choppy over our lovely Michigan roads, and again, I wonder if the culprit is the run-flat tires? I think it is.


NEWS EDITOR GREG MIGLIORE: From an aesthetics standpoint, I think the Z4 is a work of art. Even static this car looks sexy. I love how the grille meets the hood and the lines flow back. The headlights seem to glow, and I was playing with the key fob in the early morning murkiness just to watch the car light up. The front fascia is so low and wide with a true aggressive look. The split grille seems to snarl at you with anger not evident on most BMWs. The sides are equally sexy, with the flame-tempered panels that--as BMW likes to say--look sculpted and catch the light in a romantic manner. The rear quarter panels have alluring curves, and these wheels are impressive as well.

So yes, I like how the Z4 looks.

Driving? Not quite as much, though it's a lot of fun. I'll echo the above statements regarding the weight; it is apparent, but it didn't detract from the overall experience for me that much. The steering, especially in sport mode, is quite precise, and I carved up some of my benchmark corners on the way to work. The acceleration is brisk, and you can easily get near triple digits on the expressway with little effort. The suspension is rock solid; it's almost jarring at times. But this is a roadster, it's not for slamming over broken roads.

I dropped the top for my dash home after work, turned up the radio and flicked on the shades for a nice cruise into the sunset (literally, the sun goes down quickly these days). The retractable hardtop works as advertised. The fun factor is high in the Z4, but some of the flaws are a bit obvious.


COPY EDITOR CYNTHIA L. OROSCO-WRIGHT: This is a really sharp car. I wish I could have dropped the top on a nice fall afternoon. But the crazy windstorm through which I drove an hour north and back to a doctor's appointment left me a bit leery of being struck in the head by flying objects. So I kept the top up, put my foot down and flew down the expressway to my destination.

But first, I got to feel every single road imperfection in this small car. I'd agree with Roger that a big part of the blame lies with the run-flats. Good grief, what a harsh ride! Only over smooth stretches of expressway or newly paved surface roads was this car really pleasant to drive. Yes, it's a little speedster and a convertible and all, but I'd like not to feel my bones jarred with every crack and crevice. The seat was just OK comfort-wise, and you have to contort a bit to get in. But the car handled well, the brakes were solid and on those smoother stretches, pushing the Z4 above 80 mph was fun. The harshness kind of took some of the fun out of the drive for me, but all in all, this is a fine car.


EDITORIAL INTERN JAKE LINGEMAN : This car is deceivingly quick. Where most roadsters give an illusion of speed--the Mazda Miata feels fast getting on the expressway at 60 mph--this car covers up its speed. After flicking through the paddles on entry ramps you can easily top 80 mph. And if you hit the gas a bit while on the highway, you'll be above 90. I've never driven the Z3, so I can't comment on the weight difference. But this Z4 doesn't feel heavy to me. The abundance of power hides it well.

The transmission in this car is fantastic. One of the best dual-clutches in the biz, hands down. In auto you can turn the radio down and just listen. Up, down, up, down, go the revs. If you're trying not to burn all your gas, you can keep the tach between 2,000 rpm and 2,500 rpm pretty easily.

Steering is right on point and the thick, hefty wheel feels directly connected to the tires. Certain steering wheels feel right in certain cars. This one, lifted from the M-Series, is a perfect fit for the Z4.

The ride is definitely harsh. A few bumps made me wince and once I actually had to get out of the car to check the rims for damage. Luckily there was none. But on smooth pavement, the Z4 inspires nothing but confidence. When you can swing a 90-degree turn with one arm, you're feeling pretty good.

This is a driver's car, so you'd better pay attention. You will have to dodge a pothole or a sewer cover, you will get some wheel movement over uneven pavement, and you will get some looks, thumbs-up and some race requests.

I pulled up to my house on Halloween at about 6:30 p.m.--prime time for trick-or-treaters. A group of kids was leaving my porch. One of them, a young boy about six or seven years old, saw the red convertible roadster and yelled, "I love that car!"

Thanks, kid, me too.


MOTORSPORTS EDITOR MAC MORRISON : First of all, and I'm probably in the minority here, but I actually prefer the whacky styling of the original Z4 to the present-day version. This car's softer, dare I say more conventional lines might appeal to a broader audience, but I liked the brashness of the original so much more. It was a car that made you say "What?" at first sight, but one you also grew to appreciate more the longer you stared at it. Some of its styling cues--the ones that initially seemed nothing short of bizarre--actually began to make sense if studied beyond a cursory glance.

I'm glad this Z4 rolled through the fleet, however, because as far as I'm concerned, it just proved a recent point for me. Here I am reading my fellow editors' comments, and I see nary a mention let alone disgusted outcry over the price. Yet every time a BMW 135i comes through, it's shock and awe. Even if we say this car's retractable hardtop adds $10,000 to the cost, it's still another $10,000 more than the 135. See, people accept that a small, two-seater should be pricey, but the same commentators look at the 1-series (which actually has a back seat, unlike the Z4) and think--because of its sedan-like styling--that it should be a less-expensive 3-series. Perception plays such a role when it comes to quantifying a price/performance/value equation that I find it a more than worthwhile point to note. I sure as hell know this: I'd be just fine with spending $42,000 on a 135i and settling for a fixed top than I would be if I dropped $60,000-plus on a Z4.


ASSISTANT ART DIRECTOR/DESIGNER TARA KLEIN : The Z4 was the first really sporty car I've ever driven, and definitely the first two-seater. Growing up driving in full-size trucks and SUVs didn't quite prepare me for what the Z4 had in store for me--a lot of fun.

This is a beautiful car, no doubt. The lines and contours from front to back create a really classy yet aggressive look. This feel continued through the interior with the asymmetrical center console design and the high-quality mixture of materials. The patterned metal really popped against the other textiles, and the dash was brilliantly lit at night.

Not being a sports-car connoisseur, I tend to look for things that I feel I would need in a vehicle. A cupholder happens to be one of these things, and at first I was disappointed not to see the round, deep dwelling for my iced tea. Then as I was looking in the glovebox, I discovered to my total excitement that there was a removable cupholder that attached to the center console. Yay! My iced tea had a home for my commute and I drove on.

As I said before, most of my driving experience has been in larger vehicles. However, I never felt scrunched or in need of more space. I did feel like the acceleration rate and brake sensitivity was right on the money in the Z4. This was an incredibly powerful and smooth ride, until of course, like most others noted, a bump interrupted the trip. But it surely didn't interrupt the pure pleasure of driving such an impressive vehicle.

2011 BMW Z4 sDrive35is

Base Price: $61,925

As-Tested Price: $64,225

Drivetrain: 3.0-liter turbocharged I6; RWD, seven-speed dual-clutch sequential manual

Output: 335 hp @ 5,900 rpm, 332-369 lb-ft @ 1,500 rpm

Curb Weight: 3,549 lb

Fuel Economy (EPA/AW): 17/22.8 mpg

Options: Melbourne red metallic paint ($550); comfort access keyless entry ($500); heated front seats ($500); iPod and USB adapter ($400); satellite radio ($350)

Credit: Auto Week (http://www.autoweek.com)


No comments:

Post a Comment