Tuesday, January 04, 2011

GreenBkk Formula 1 | Domenicali almost resigned after Abu Dhabi

Domenicali almost resigned after Abu Dhabi


Ferrari team principal Stefano Domenicali has revealed he considered resigning from his position at the Italian outfit after the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix.

In the end, the 45-year-old decided against it, believing he'd be the best man to capitalise on recent changes within the team.

"After Abu Dhabi I personally raised the issue [of resignation]. I wondered if it was right or not that I stayed," he told La Repubblica.

"I think this is a duty though. I came to the conclusion that resigning would be a mistake," he admitted.

"I know the team and I think I'm the right person to capitalise on all that we have sown in recent months. From the methodological point of view, in Maranello, we have changed almost everything and I am sure we will soon see the results of our hard work."

Domenicali highlighted two key reasons as to why the season didn't quite go their way, blaming: "the machine, it was not as fast as Red Bull and the mistake in Abu Dhabi.

"The mistake was, so to speak, an error of huge magnitude. It produced devastating effects. But in a normal race it would have been a normal error."

He went onto discuss the competitiveness of 2010 and why he believes 2011 will be just as fearsome, if not tougher than the previous season.

"We talk about the competition in 2010, it was warlike. The 2011 season will be even more so," he claimed. "Because in addition to Red Bull, who are favourite, there will also be McLaren, they have always been at the front with Hamilton who is an exceptional pilot.

"Then, I also expect Mercedes to be there, they have invested too much to afford another season like last."

Finally, he is confident that Felipe Massa will make a comeback in 2011.

"I am sure we will see a great Massa in 2011. He knows that he cannot afford another season like 2010."

Credit: The F1 Times (www.thef1times.com)


No comments:

Post a Comment