Thursday, July 07, 2011

GreenBkk.com Formula 1 | Di Resta pressured by Silverstone

Di Resta pressured by Silverstone

Thursday 7th July 2011

Paul di Resta has admitted that the pressures of a "working weekend" at Silverstone will likely detract from his enjoyment of his debut British Grand Prix.

The 25-year-old Scot will be making his F1 race debut at the Northamptonshire track, having first savoured the atmosphere 12 months ago when he served as Force India's reserve driver.

On that occasion, Di Resta took part in Friday morning practice but having now been promoted to a race seat, he knows that eyes will be on him as well as Lewis Hamilton and Jenson Button.

"Last year was incredible," said Di Resta.

"I was the first out onto the track in Friday practice, and even then the grandstands were full. What a sight it was to see that.

"I know it's hard to believe, but I could still feel the atmosphere and see what was happening in the grandstands on my installation lap.

"The place was just alive the whole weekend. I'm sure it will be the same again this year, and hopefully things will run very smoothly.

"But I understand this year there'll be a bit more added pressure.

"It means I won't be enjoying the atmosphere as much as I have done in the past. It will be a working weekend for me."

Even so, Di Resta will be doing his utmost to relax and has invited friends and family to the race in an attempt to try and switch off at the end of the day.

"I feel it's important because it's a much busier grand prix than normal with greater demands on me working, so I've felt that's the way forward," added Di Resta.

"Of course, I've also had many people pestering me for tickets, and there has been plenty of it, but at the same time people understand how difficult Formula One is.

"That is one of the other reasons for me being close to the track, so I can spend some of my free time at night to try and catch up with everybody, and make sure I enjoy that side of it as well."

Of the job in hand, Di Resta is hoping home advantage will help him crack the top 10 in both qualifying and the race.

He has come within a whisker of qualifying for the top 10 at the last three races, and pushed for points in four of the last six.

"My target is to hopefully make the top 10 in qualifying," he added.

"We've been there or thereabouts for the last few races, and we need to be there if we want to fight for points."

Credit: ESPN STAR (www.espnstar.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment