Friday, July 01, 2011

GreenBkk.com World Sport | Kaymer six shots adrift at French Open

Kaymer six shots adrift at French Open

June 30, 2011 -- Updated 1857 GMT (0257 HKT)


World number four Martin Kaymer finds himself six shots off the pace after the opening round of the French Open.

(CNN) -- World number four Martin Kaymer is six shots behind joint leaders Richard Green and Graeme Storm after the opening round of the French Open in Paris.

The German, who enjoyed a stint at the top of the world rankings earlier this year, carded a level par round of 71 on the first day at Le Golf National course on the outskirts of the French capital.

Kaymer, without a top ten finish in the three tournaments since the Volvo World Match Play Championship in May, trails Englishman Storm and Green, from Australia, by six shots.

South African George Coetzee was on course to take the outright lead after reaching seven-under with four holes to go but made two late bogeys to slip back to five-under.

Thorbjorn Olesen, from Denmark, and England's James Morrison are also on five-under with Italian teenager Matteo Manassero in a group of 11 players on three-under.


American Bubba Watson, playing in his first European Tour event this season, double-bogeyed the final hole to slip back to a round of three-over.

Green, who is still searching for his first top ten finish this season, told the European Tour web site: "I've been working hard on my driving lately and putting especially, and it all seems to be coming to nicely.

"I like the layout of the golf course very much, I like the way it plays bouncy. I tend to sort of mentally like difficult golf holes, and I think I focus a little bit harder for that very reason.

"Six under par for me today is a great score, and I'm very happy with the position I'm in. It's given me a lot of confidence to go into the rest of the week."

Storm won the French Open in 2007 and made six birdies during his blemish-free round.

He said: "There's always added pressure when you come back because people say, 'You won on one of the toughest courses in Europe and you obviously like it around that course.'

"I do, without a doubt, but you've still got to put the work in and do all the preparation.

"It's just another week, it's another tournament and you've got to treat it like that, but don't get me wrong, it's fantastic to always come back and know that you've won around here."

Credit: CNN (www.cnn.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment