Sunday, August 28, 2011

GreenBkk.com Formula 1 | "I can honour Senna family name"

"I can honour Senna family name"

Sunday 28th August 2011

Bruno Senna believes he honoured the family name as he proved he has what it takes to compete in Formula One.

It might only have been one impressive qualifying session, but it was enough to show why Renault team principal Eric Boullier decided to ditch German Nick Heidfeld and promote Brazilian Senna to the race seat.

Heidfeld's contract situation will be resolved in the High Court on September 19.

Until that time Senna, who endured a wretched debut campaign with Hispania Racing last season, has two races to prove he is worthy of a more permanent place in the sport.

After qualifying seventh in difficult, changeable conditions ahead of the Belgian Grand Prix, ahead of Fernando Alonso in his Ferrari and team-mate Vitaly Petrov, he has made the ideal start.

The nephew of legendary three-times champion Ayrton Senna said: "Just getting into Q3 was a massive victory for me.

"Then I knew I could push on the last few laps because I didn't have much to lose in that situation.

"I didn't want to make a mistake or crash, so in that sense I wasn't pushing 100 per cent, but I was pushing where I knew I could push.

"A lot of people made mistakes, I didn't, and the result is there, so it was good.

"Of course, my mum and grandparents are very happy, so I guess I've made the Senna name proud."

Senna, however, knows it is only the first stepping stone towards his goal, adding: "The race is going to be a different story.

"I'm not expecting to just sit in the car and go forward and get a podium, but I'm looking forward because I have learned a lot.

"Every lap I do I'm more comfortable with the car and team, and of course it's great to outqualify your team-mate.

"He has the upper hand on me in terms of race experience, but in terms of expectation, everything has been going really well.

"Tomorrow there is another learning curve, and I have to take it step by step.

"I know I still have lots to prove. I want to be consistently good, and if I can do, that then I can make my career.

"For now, I can't complain about qualifying top 10 in the middle of the season, and it will now be a dream come true to finish in the points tomorrow."

Dismissing claims he has only been given a drive because of the money his Brazilian connections bring to Renault, Senna said: "The only way to answer those things is to drive well.

"I've done a good job today so it takes some of the questions away, but every time I'm in the car I have to keep doing that until I'm a professional Formula One driver."

Credit: ESPN STAR (www.espnstar.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment