Thursday, August 04, 2011

GreenBkk.com Formula 1 | Ricciardo aiming to 'edge out Tonio and the Virgins'

Ricciardo aiming to 'edge out Tonio and the Virgins'

ESPNF1 Staff
August 4, 2011


Daniel Ricciardo: "I have to find a little bit more and be different from the others and, hopefully, better than them" © Sutton Images

Daniel Ricciardo is hoping to consistently outperform HRT team-mate Tonio Liuzzi and rivals Virgin by the end of the season.

The Red Bull junior driver joined HRT at the British Grand Prix to gain experience and has made it to the chequered flag at his first three races. At the Hungarian Grand Prix he finished ahead of team-mate Liuzzi, who struggled with a broken front wing and made two extra pit stops, and is hoping for more of the same in the remaining eight races of the season.

"The target is to continue learning," he told the HRT website. "I think that will come with time in the car. If I could manage to sneak out a personal best result or edge out Tonio and the Virgins in a few races that would be a strong result. I have to aim high because it is only going to help me for the future. I think that for the last few races of the year I can really start to push and aim for it."

Ricciardo has yet to beat Liuzzi in qualifying but reckons he still has plenty of room for improvement, especially in high-speed corners.

"I like high-speed corners but with the F111 it is taking a little time to build up to that," he said. "Tonio has been quicker in the high-speed sectors in the first few races. That is a part that normally I am strong at so I expect to get better.

"As for the rest, I am quite a smooth driver and not too erratic; I think I drive with quite a lot of finesse. I guess that is what has got me here. Now I have to find a little bit more and be different from the others and, hopefully, better than them."

But he admits he is up against tough competition in Liuzzi.

"Tonio has proved he is a very capable driver and I think he will be tough to beat," Ricciardo added. "At Silverstone I was quite off his pace. I knew it would take a bit of time but you always want a bit more. But it was very clear to me that I have a strong team-mate. It is going to take my best efforts to really try and get in front of him and to push for a personal best result for the team. I don't think it is going to come through luck; it's just going to be hard work for now. I really have to soak in as much information as I can to try and become the driver I want to be."

In the long-term Ricciardo's objectives are clear.

"I would like it to be remembered; I would love to be world champion one day and have my name on the list," he said. "That is the real dream. Although I am sure it is the dream for pretty much all the Formula One drivers. I think I am at a good age and very motivated to really have that as my long-term goal."

Credit: ESPN F1 (en.espnf1.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment