Friday, September 02, 2011

GreenBkk.com Ferrari | Californian Pistunzen divides his time between Laguna and Pebble Beach

Californian Pistunzen divides his time between Laguna and Pebble Beach

DIARY OF TRANSATLANTIC VISIT

I got quite a fright when I heard about the hurricane bearing down on New York. I don’t travel a lot on my own (when I do, it’s usually tucked away inside the engine doing my work like the good little piston that I am), but this summer, I took the plunge. I applied for a visa for America and had myself whisked off to California. I didn’t know how far that was from New York then, but now that I do know, I’m not scared any longer. Every summer California plays host to the most fascinating reunion of Pistunzens of all shapes, sizes and ages. They meet at what’s know as the Concours d’Elegance and are to be found in hundreds of different kinds of engines. The main Concours takes place at Pebble Beach, but it’s not the only one: there are lots of others too, all held the same week in Monterey, Laguna Seca and Carmel. They’re in the same general area too and are where my kind meet up with each other. The pistons that have the toughest time are in the historic cars that race at Laguna. It’s a real festival but you should hear the shreiks and groans when the drivers go round the Corkscrew. Well, let’s put it this way: you’d need to be drunk to do it.

Pebble Beach is about as elegant as it gets, however. There’s always a group of aristocrats, all nipped and tucked to the nines, strutting around because they’ve special guests. They’ll be good-looking, don’t get me wrong, but they’re no longer in the first flush of youth and their pistons won’t be quite efficient as I am. In fact, I have to say I cut quite a dash myself. I was there with the FF, a nice young car a million miles from the big American idiots with their sixteen-some cylinders. She’s a really powerful beauty with head-turning curves. I have to say I’ve rarely been paid so many compliments in my lifetime.
So you can say that you know me, the Californian Pistunzen. Maybe we’ll go there together next year. I do like to travel with my fans…


PUBLISHED IN Pistunzen's blog BY Pistunzen ON 09.01.2011

Credit: Ferrari S.p.A. (www.ferrari.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment