Tuesday, October 04, 2011

GreenBkk.com Lotus Renault GP | AYAO KOMATSU – MY HOME RACE

AYAO KOMATSU – MY HOME RACE

04/10/2011


Ayao Komatsu, Vitaly’s Race Engineer from Japan, arrived in England in 1994 to read Automotive Engineering at Loughborough University. Twelve years later he began working at Enstone and remembers vividly returning to his homeland for his first Japanese Grand Prix. Five years later on he still looks forward to returning to the annual race which, this time around, could be more emotionally-charged than ever before…..

What were your memories of the Japanese Grand Prix?
AK: My first memories of the Japanese Grand Prix were when I watched it as a kid back in the late ‘80s. I remember it vividly when Senna was fighting against Prost. In 1989 they shunted at the chicane, and the next year they shunted at turn 1, both of these events decided the championship, so it really was a very memorable time for the sport there. The Japanese GP was always towards the end of the season – the last or penultimate race on the calendar – so champion after champion was crowned there. That made it a particularly special race to watch. There’s no doubt about it, watching those races in the late ‘80s was responsible for me wanting to forge my own career in F1.

When did your journey into Formula 1 first begin?
AK: I grew up in Japan until the age of 18, and when I finished High School I knew I wanted to work in Formula 1. England was the obvious place for me to pursue that dream; it’s where the majority of the teams were located, it was known as the home of motorsport and I needed to learn English anyway. In Japan there was some domestic motorsport, but I wanted to broaden my horizons and think internationally. That was when I thought ‘right, England’it is. In 1995, I went to study Automotive Engineering at Loughborough University, an institution renowned for both sport and engineering. I thought it would be a good place to start.

First step Loughborough, then BAR Honda, then Enstone…
AK: Exactly. My first job was at BAR Honda in 2003 and then I moved to Enstone in 2006 as a tyre engineer on the test team. I transferred across to the race team in 2007 and worked at my first Japanese GP in Fuji. It was very special for me to attend the Japanese GP. My wife, mother and friends came over to see me work there, which was personally a very special moment. When I moved to England in ’94 my family appreciated what I wanted to do. But to be able to go back to Japan and demonstrate to them exactly what I did was special, it really was. They were able to see what I did first hand, rather than hear about it over the phone which was good because they didn’t really understand a huge amount about motorsport until I got involved. All these years later, I still love going back. My wife will come with me to Suzuka this year; it’s always good for family to be able to witness the atmosphere there.

Do you think this year’s race will be more emotionally-charged than in previous years?
AK: Yes, the earthquake that took place this year was a real tragedy and very sad for Japan and its people. I have heard that Bernie has invited some people to the race from the Tōhoku region, which will be a nice touch if it’s true. Hopefully an event like that will lift people’s spirits in what has been a difficult year. There had been talk of various sports events being cancelled but the Japanese people want something to look forward to and celebrate, so I hope the 2011 Japanese Grand Prix will do that.

Read more in our Japanese Grand Prix Preview

Credit: Lotus Renault GP (www.lotusrenaultgp.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment