Monday, November 29, 2010

GreenBkk Formula 1 | Massa: 2011 is not make-or-break

Massa: 2011 is not make-or-break

Credit: PlanetF1.com (www.planetf1.com)


Felipe Massa has denied speculation that his future with Ferrari - or even in F1 - is dependent on him challenging for the title next season.

This year's Championship was a trying one for the Brazilian, who was back in action after a near fatal accident at the 2009 Hungarian GP.

Massa failed to win a single race this season and when he did come close in Germany, he was told through a coded message to move over and hand his team-mate Fernando Alonso the victory.

The Brazilian eventually finished sixth in the Drivers' Championship, 112 points behind title winner Sebastian Vettel.

His inability to match Alonso out on track has prompted some speculation that 2011 could be a make-a-break season. Massa, though, insists it isn't.

"I don't think 2011 signifies a crucial year for me. Fundamentally, I have been in this situation often," he told Ferrari's website.

"I remember that at the start of 2006, many people said I would only last a year at Ferrari and then I won races that season and went on to stay for a long time more.

"In 2008, there was a lot of pressure, especially at the start, but I managed to cross the line at the end of the final race as World Champion.

"This year, there were many who said I would have a difficult year after my accident in Budapest: it turned out that way, but not for that reason.

"My approach always remains the same: starting the Championship with the aim of winning as many races as possible.

"Over the years, the names of at least ten drivers have been put forward as replacements for me at Ferrari, but I am still here!"

And 'here' is where he will be in 2011 when Formula One makes the switch back to Pirelli tyres, which the Ferrari driver tested in Abu Dhabi in the week following the conclusion of the season. He finished the day at the top of the timesheets.

"First impressions are very positive," he said. "The tyres immediately worked well, without the need to drastically change the car set-up. Sure, there is still work to do, but it was a really good day."

Credit: PlanetF1.com (www.planetf1.com)


No comments:

Post a Comment