Friday, November 19, 2010

GreenBkk Formula 1 | Perez: Early running is 'very important'

Perez: Early running is 'very important'

Credit: PlanetF1.com (www.planetf1.com)


Sauber's 2011 rookie Sergio Perez says this week's test in Abu Dhabi is vital to his preparations for next season.

Perez climbed into the cockpit of Sauber's C29 on Wednesday, taking part in the second and last day of the Young Drivers' test in Abu Dhabi.

The Mexican completed 91 laps with a best time of 1:40.543, which placed him sixth on the timesheets.

Wednesday's running, though, will not be Perez's only outing in Abu Dhabi as he is also set to run during the two-day Pirelli last this week.

"I think it was very important for me to be here and have this one and a half days in the car," said the 2010 GP2 runner-up

"I can get a lot of understanding of the car and the team - especially the team because it's a lot different to what I'm used to. Also to understand how it works and why they change this and that."

Perez was satisfied with his day's work, although admitted it was a big change going from a GP2 car to a F1 machine.

"It takes you quite a lot to reach the limit of the car," he said.

"You go out and you think 'ah, I'm going quick' - and you are four or five seconds off. Especially because I drove this track in the GP2 car and the limits are pretty different so it takes a bit of time to be up to speed."

He added: "We did quite a lot of aero changes. We were trying to manage quite a lot of different settings in the car for me to get an understanding and a feeling with the car. I think it worked pretty well.

"At the end of the day, we already have the contract so I'm not looking for the lap time and really the most important thing for me is to understand the tyres and the team, and to get into the car. The lap time doesn't mean anything."

Credit: PlanetF1.com (www.planetf1.com)


No comments:

Post a Comment