Wednesday, December 22, 2010

GreenBkk Formula 1 | Schumi: I love challenges

Schumi: I love challenges


Michael Schumacher has for the umpteenth time brushed off suggestions that he regrets making a comeback to F1 and says he is already looking forward to next year.

It's exactly a year to the day that the German confirmed his return to the sport with Mercedes GP. However, his highly anticipated comeback turned out to be a big disappointment as he finished the season without a podium and ninth in the Drivers' Championship.

The seven-time Champion acknowledges that the team fell short of expectations next year, but says Mercedes are looking to build something great.

"The year has been a big challenge, and in this respect my expectations have been fulfilled," he told his official website. "In terms of results, we clearly did not meet our expectations. But then, you have to fight for the things you want to achieve, which has always been my credo. Mercedes, the whole team, me - we are working together to build something great.

"Not being an easy process makes the challenge more exciting. None of us is the type of guy to just give up when faced with setbacks. It is the opposite, this makes us even more determined. I think I have proved over many years that I love challenges and that I am able to handle them. I have not regretted my decision to come back at all."

Mercedes didn't pick up a single win this year and finished fourth in the Constructors' Championship this year, but Schumacher is confident they can fight for race victories in 2011.

"Yes, I look forward to some quiet days with my family over Christmas but I also notice that I am going all tingly already thinking about next year," he said.

"We ended the season with a positive feeling and things were starting to come together with a tendency that was clearly positive. And from a physical point of view, the year wasn't very demanding for me. So, knowing our developments for the new year makes me confident that we can fight for some race victories from our own power. This is a prospect which makes me look forward to competing again."

The German copped a lot of criticism this year, but he says he can "live" with it.

"That is okay for me, and I haven't looked good all the time either," he said. "I can live with criticism very well, you just have to differentiate it and it can bring you forward as well. What is much more important is that I deeply enjoy building what we are building here at this team and that is always the best base for success because you do not need to question the motivation. And please don't get me wrong here; you don't question the seriousness either. I can't wait already to get the new season started."

Credit: PlanetF1.com (www.planetf1.com)


No comments:

Post a Comment