Thursday, February 03, 2011

GreenBkk.com Formula 1 | Getting up to speed will take time - Perez

Getting up to speed will take time - Perez

Sergio Perez set the tenth fastest time on his F1 debut © Sutton Images

Sauber rookie Sergio Perez has admitted it will be "quite a struggle" to get up to speed in Formula One before the start of the season.

An inherent problem for young drivers entering modern F1 is the lack of testing they can take part in before their debut. Perez made his F1 debut on Wednesday and has only four more weeks of testing before the start of the season. To compound the problem, he completed just 42 laps on his debut due to reliability problems.

When asked if he felt he would get enough track time to be competitive in the new Sauber at the start of the season, Perez said: "I hope so. I think it's quite a struggle obviously but I'm working and I'm doing my best and I hope that by the start of the season I can be up to speed with them."

He added that he would draw on the year's experience of team-mate Kamui Kobayashi.

"I think I have a lot to learn from him, because one year in Formula One can make a big difference. I find that I can learn a lot from Kamui."

And he is even hoping to emulate some of Kobayashi's aggressive overtaking manoeuvres.

"I hope so because I know he is very good at overtaking and I think that I can match him yes. If I have the chance I will go for it definitely. I'm here to get as many points as possible, so I will do my best inside the cockpit at every single race."

He said the level of technology and driver input was the main difference between the GP2 championship he finished runner-up in last year and F1.

"I think the amount of things you have to do inside the cockpit [is the biggest step up]. For the brain, how much of stuff is coming into this it is quite hard to jump into Formula One and I guess there are a lot of things going on so it takes some time first of all to understand and then to develop."

Credit: ESPN F1 (espn.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment