Thursday, February 03, 2011

GreenBkk.com Formula 1 | Hamilton: I always want it more

Hamilton: I always want it more


Lewis Hamilton insists he won't be distracted by off-track issues as the new Formula One season revs into gear.

It is approaching a year now since the former World Champion split from father Anthony as manager, a move that impacted significantly on him on and off the track.

He was forced to personally handle his own affairs and he admitted there were times when his performances were affected.

The 26-year-old, though, is now close to a resolution, with high-profile sports management agents IMG, who house an array of stars on their books, still rumoured to be the frontrunners.

"I'm working on getting it sorted. Hopefully in the next couple of weeks I'll be able to let you know what's going on," said Hamilton.

"But it's positive. It won't distract me from my job, and certain things will be taken care of a lot better than when I was looking after myself.

"I've a couple of candidates and I'm just trying to decide which one. I'll let you know when I've decided."

The suspicion is once that particular matter is resolved, it will allow Hamilton to focus fully on the most important aspect of his life - driving.

The 26-year-old certainly backed up his father's recent assertion he is particularly extra motivated this year to reclaim the title.

"I just feel things in my life are much better now, and I feel in a much better place, that I'm able to focus even more energy on to winning than I've done in the past," added Hamilton.

"It feels great to be here, I'm happy in my life, as I was at some points of last year.

"But every year I've always approached it the same. Sometimes your training doesn't go as well, sometimes you're more drained by appearances or certain things that you do.

"Whereas this year things have been a lot clearer and the training has been a lot more productive, and I'm feeling a lot better about the car.

"Of course, I always want it more. I can never want it enough."

Hamilton feels he is fitter than ever going into his fifth season in Formula One after mid-winter training that included snow hiking and cross-country skiing.

"It's perfect with the high altitude. It's a lot more hard work," he added. "When you come back down to sea level you really start seeing the benefit, so I like to go up high and do the training.

"I just enjoy it, waking up in the morning and going hiking up a mountain with clear blue skies. There's no substitute for that. There's nothing better.

"It's also good for your soul, good for your spirit, to be in nice beautiful places."

The 26-year-old was back on track on Wednesday for the first time since the final day of last season in Abu Dhabi in mid-November.

But with McLaren not unveiling their new car until Friday in Berlin, it meant Hamilton ran in last year's car, with his brief to evaluate new tyre supplier Pirelli's rubber.

Hamilton finished fourth quickest overall behind Fernando Alonso and current Champion Sebastian Vettel, in their new Ferrari and Red Bull respectively, with Paul di Resta third, but in last year's Force India.

Credit: PlanetF1.com (www.planetf1.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment