Thursday, February 10, 2011

GreenBkk.com Formula 1 | Sutil hopes to challenge for podium

Sutil hopes to challenge for podium


Adrian Sutil hopes the VJM04 will help Force India to challenge for a couple of podium finishes in 2011.

Sutil and Force India had a consistent if unspectacular 2010 and they never came close to repeating Giancarlo Fisichella's 2009 heroics when he finished second in the Belgian GP. Their best result was a couple of fifth-place finishes.

However, they are aiming much higher this season with the team setting their sights on fifth in the Constructors' Championship.

Sutil, who finished 11th in the Drivers' standings with 47 points, hopes they'll be able to challenge for a top three finish.

"We need to be in the points regularly and at times challenging for the podium. I'm really confident we can do it," he said during the launch of their new car.

"Last year we started the season really strongly and I was qualifying in the top 10 at most races and regularly scoring points before the summer break, but then the second part of the year was a bit more challenging. We were still developing but the other teams had a quicker development rate, which meant we dropped some points.

"It's something we've worked really hard to address this year, tieing everything in together with regards the wind tunnel, track work and the design process back in the factory. We've got targets to finish at least one spot higher than last year so consistency has got to be key. As for podiums, why not - we should certainly be in the mix at some races."

The German says he feels "very good and confident" about the new season.

"I'm genuinely excited about the 2011 season," he said. "I just missed out on the top 10 last year in the Drivers' standings - I'm pretty hopeful I can get in there this season! The progress the team has shown over the past two years has been very impressive and what I've seen in the factory and at the wind tunnel over the past weeks indicates that the rate will continue this year. I feel very good and confident; the team and I know each other very well and we know how to get the most from each other."

His new team-mate Paul di Resta hopes to be consistent during his debut season in F1.

"I don't want to say exact targets on record as there are so many factors that can come into play," he said. "What I do want to do is to have a positive approach, finish, be consistent and contribute strongly to the team's overall performance. We've got high aims of finishing in a good Constructors' Championship position and I know that I've got to play my part in this."

Credit: PlanetF1.com (www.planetf1.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment