Saturday, May 07, 2011

GreenBkk.com WRC | Latvala: "nothing to prove" in Sardinia

Latvala: "nothing to prove" in Sardinia


Jari-Matti Latvala insists winning all three stages on Saturday morning is not an attempt to prove his worth following his retirement from the opening day of Rally d'Italia Sardegna.

Starting from eighth on the road, Latvala has set a blistering pace in his Ford Fiesta RS WRC and reached the midday halt in Olbia in 32nd overall and firmly in contention for scoring manufacturers’ championship points for his employer.

But the Finn has put his speed down to the fact he is not under any pressure after dropping out of contention for his second victory on the island rally.

“It’s a good feeling, the driving is nice and relaxed, I have no pressure and a good road position,” said Latvala, who was victorious in Sardinia in 2009. “Those things are combining together and making it possible. Okay the main thing is I am not under the pressure so it is easy to drive and I always enjoy driving over here.”

He continued: “Yesterday was a big disappointment because I have so much passion for this rally, I wanted to win this rally so now when I am driving I want to drive well. I had a good test so I want to see how I can go on the stages. It is happening naturally and I am not trying to prove I am quick. I am still trying to be careful and to save the car. I am relaxed and enjoying it.”

Latvala confirmed that he had no plans to alter the set-up of his Fiesta for the afternoon stages, adding: “We did so much at the test we don’t think there is a point to start changing things. I will stick with what I have and keep going.”

Credit: World Rally Championship (www.wrc.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment