Monday, July 25, 2011

GreenBkk.com Formula 1 | Lewis Hamilton: I used my head

Lewis Hamilton: I used my head

Monday 25th July 2011

Lewis Hamilton believes using his head as well his heart helped him conjure a German Grand Prix victory to savour on Sunday.

Hamilton produced a vintage performance to claim a crucial win that keeps him in the hunt for this year's Formula One world title.

After all the criticism that followed his drives, and incidents, in Monaco and Canada, a seemingly more relaxed Hamilton proved to his critics he has not lost his touch.

Two overtaking manoeuvres on Mark Webber and Fernando Alonso, who finished third and second respectively at the Nurburgring, were the 26-year-old at his supreme best.

Hamilton even set the fastest lap to add to his wonderful weekend following which he is now 82 points adrift of Sebastian Vettel as the reigning champion had to settle for fourth in his Red Bull.

"Days like this definitely pay off more than you could imagine," said Hamilton.

"This was a great race in the sense that there was Mark, Fernando and me all within a tenth (of a second) of each other, lap after lap after lap.

"It was about real perfection, about really not making mistakes. It was awesome, and both of these guys drove exceptionally well.

"For me, with my aggressive style, and with people commenting about being able to use it, here I was in a really very good head space.

"Perhaps I feel even better because I felt the moves I did were some of the most precise moves I have pulled in a while.

"Being able to drive with your head all the time and get it right, just right, is massively satisfying.

"As I've always said, I will continue to do it the way I do it, and continue to improve."

It led to Hamilton describing the victory as "more special than usual", with the hope now this is a platform to mounting a title crack at Vettel.

"I couldn't feel any better because we never expected to come here and be so fast, but the guys have done a fantastic job and pushed so hard," added Hamilton.

"I just feel great. It was one of the best races I've ever done, and this is a massive step forward.

"I really hope that as a team we can really use this to propel us forward and to keep the momentum going."

Team-mate Jenson Button has thrown in the towel on his own title chances after suffering back-to-back retirements for the first time in three years.

After losing a wheel at Silverstone in the British Grand Prix a fortnight ago, a hydraulics issue forced him out on lap 35, leaving him 107 points behind Vettel.

"I don't think we're fighting for the championship any more, so I'm just going to go out there and do the best at every race I'm in," said Button.

"My intention now is to be back on the podium for my 200th grand prix in Hungary next weekend."

Force India's Paul di Resta had to settle for 13th after being hit from behind by Renault's Nick Heidfeld on the opening lap, dropping him to the back of the field.

Credit: ESPN STAR (www.espnstar.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment