Friday, September 09, 2011

GreenBkk.com Formula 1 | Barichello is looking ahead

Barichello is looking ahead

Brazilian can see light at the end of the tinnel for struggling team

Last Updated: September 8, 2011 7:15pm


Barrichello: Still to clinch new deal

Rubens Barrichello is frustrated at not signing a new deal with Williams but is sure he will be driving for a 20th season in 2012.

The veteran Brazilian has no intention of staying at Williams if another season is on the cards like they are currently enduring, having claimed just five points from 12 races.

However, he is encouraged by the fact personnel changes have taken place this year in preparation for next season when the team will also be powered by Renault engines.

Williams, though, remain in need of cash, and it has been suggested they could again hire another driver ready to pay for his seat, as Pastor Maldonado has done this season.

Concerned

Asked whether he was concerned at the prospect of being without a drive for next year, Barrichello said: "No, it is not going to happen.

"But I have to put everything into context as well. I have to see how competitive everything is.

"To be working for another year like this in my 20th year, I need something better.

"The team is doing better with the engine change and the personnel change, so I can see a good light at the end of the tunnel.

"But I want to continue because people want me to and they know I can win, other than that, I'll stay home and take care of the kids and play my internet games."

Barrichello currently remains in talks with Williams chairman Adam Parr with regard to another year-long extension to his contract, but with no resolution in sight.

Perspective

Speaking ahead of this weekend's Italian Grand Prix at Monza where he has won on three occasions, the 39-year-old said: "We're talking day by day.

"We just need to see. I wish we had done a deal already, but it is taking a little longer.

"So far there is nothing else to add. I am just working very hard to seal the deal as soon as possible, but it is very flat in a way.

"The team is taking everything into perspective, they know what I can offer. There is nothing else I can report, really. I am still waiting."

Credit: Sky Sports (www.skysports.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment