Monday, September 12, 2011

GreenBkk.com Formula 1 | Fernando Alonso concedes F1 world title to Sebastian Vettel

Fernando Alonso concedes F1 world title to Sebastian Vettel

Page last updated at 21:00 GMT, Sunday, 11 September 2011 22:00 UK


Fernando Alonso believes that Sebastian Vettel is certain to retain the F1 world title and is now focused on finishing second.

Red Bull driver Vettel won Sunday's Italian Grand Prix to move 112 points ahead of Ferrari's Alonso.

"Six races to go so obviously the championship is impossible," said Alonso. "Not mathematically but we are no longer in contention.

"We are fighting for second place in the championship."

Alonso, who finished third behind Vettel and Jenson Button at Monza, added: "It's always better to finish second than fifth.

STANDINGS
  • Sebastian Vettel - 284 points
  • Fernando Alonso - 172
  • Jenson Button - 167
  • Mark Webber - 167
  • Lewis Hamilton - 158
"I think I'm second today after Mark Webber's retirement, so I will try to get second place as I did last year. We try to enjoy every race, we try to go for individual victories."

Vettel's Red Bull team-mate Webber has also conceded that the German is now certain to retain his title.

"I think we are all battling for second place now," said Webber, who crashed out of the Italian Grand Prix as Vettel cruised to his eighth win of the season.

"Sebastian needs to have a very, very incredible finish to take the championship off him."

Australian Webber, now third in the standings with Button on 167 points, had a frustrating afternoon at Monza after starting fifth on the grid.

Monza a 'missed opportunity' admits Webber

He attempted to overtake Felipe Massa going into the first chicane but lost his nose after clipping the Ferrari and then crashed out as he made his way back to the pits as the front wing got trapped under his car.

"I tried to bail out of the move but clipped the kerb," explained Webber.

"The front wing was under the car and I lost steering. This [race] is a missed opportunity for me."

Massa was unhappy with the move, which left him facing the wrong way up the track.

He rejoined the race and finished in sixth, 42 seconds behind race winner Vettel.

Massa said: "I was in front of him [Webber] and he tried to pass me on the outside [of turn two].

"There's nothing to say, he pushed me out and it was unfortunate because I lost all the possibilities for my race."

Red Bull team principal Christian Horner hopes to wrap up the title in Singapore.

"Our approach to Singapore will be exactly the same as every other grand prix so far this year. We'll go there to try and win it," he said.

"He [Vettel] came close there last year so it would be great to win that race and the championship will take care of itself."

Vettel added: "The ultimate goal this season was to defend our title, we are in a good position but we will see.

"I think we just do Singapore as we did all the other races this year. Go there and take it step-by-step and see what we can do.

"I love the circuit. It is a long circuit so I am looking forward and we will see what happens then."

Credit: BBC (www.bbc.co.uk)

No comments:

Post a Comment