Friday, September 09, 2011

GreenBkk.com Formula 1 | Pre-Monza analysis - Webber: don’t count Red Bull out

Pre-Monza analysis - Webber: don’t count Red Bull out


Mark Webber says that after the team’s one-two result in Belgium he comes to Monza confident that Red Bull can do well on a track whose outright straight-line speed characteristics should not be a penalty on his Red Bull RB7, which historically is better suited to high-downforce circuits.

“Spa’s given us a little bit of confidence,” he said yesterday. “We were a bit more competitive in the first sector and the last sector in Spa where traditionally we haven’t been. The track here, yes it’s quick and it does have some different demands to Spa in terms of the way the profile of the corners are and obviously there’s some kerbing as well. So we have some confidence after Spa but we’re not coming here thinking we’re going to be in amazing shape. We’re going to be competitive.

“Ferrari and McLaren will be quick again here, but Spa just gave us a bit of confidence to come to this venue and maybe do a bit better than we probably would have been able to if it was the other way around - if Monza was first we might be feeling a little bit more nervous.”

He admits, however, that it has been a surprise this year when the team have been successful on circuits where they are not ‘meant’ to go so well, and how strongly Red Bull have been able to perform as a team.

“But we got beaten on the tracks where we should have won. Fernando (Alonso) dominated Silverstone, as an example, so it’s been a bit different this year, that’s the way it’s been. Let’s hope it’s the same here again and we’re quick and competitive, but that can pick our performance up on the tracks where we should be better.”

So far this year world champion team mate Sebastian Vettel has been doing all the winning, but Webber says he isn’t letting it prey on his mind that he himself has yet to stand on the top podium step in 2011.

“It’s disappointing that I haven’t won a race yet this year but I’m sure it will happen before the year’s out. I’m confident of that. I’ve been very, very strong and consistent which is also not always easy. You have many opportunities to make errors and mistakes but I’ve also done things that I’ve been very proud of this year but the victory hasn’t yet happened. I’m sure it will come. I’m not getting too fired up about that to be honest. Like Nurburgring (2009), you know. It comes when you least expect it. If it’s this weekend, no better place to start than in Monza.”

One of the moves he is proud of was the one he pulled on Alonso going down to Eau Rouge two weeks ago, but he was characteristically modest about it yesterday.

“Ah, it looked closer on TV than it did in the car, to be honest. Yeah, as I said at the time, I had some momentum and I didn’t know… I mean most people were comfortable on the out lap through Eau Rouge but I didn’t know how comfortable Fernando would be so I probably would have had to wait and see how it went but I thought ‘Well, I have a chance, I’m up to speed, let’s see how it goes’. So yeah, it worked out okay.

“Fernando fought hard and fair and we’ve had many sensational battles in the past together and that’s what it’s about. Extremely rewarding. That day it went my way; there’s been many days it hasn’t gone my way and Fernando’s had it, so it was good that it turned out okay.”

David Tremayne

Credit: Formula One Administration Ltd (www.formula1.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment