Monday, November 14, 2011

GreenBkk.com Formula 1 | Hamilton - Start of something good

Hamilton - Start of something good

McLaren star optimistic he has turned a corner after Abu Dhabi victory

Last Updated: November 14, 2011 9:09am


Hamilton: Wants to maintain momentum after Abu Dhabi win

An optimistic Lewis Hamilton is hoping his victory in the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix is "the start of something good".

Hamilton produced a faultless display at the Yas Marina Circuit to take the chequered flag more than eight seconds clear of Ferrari's Fernando Alonso.

There is no doubt he suffered a slice of good fortune when world champion Sebastian Vettel, who had just made a perfect getaway from pole position, retired when a puncture caused suspension damage on the opening lap.

Hamilton at times came under pressure from Alonso, notably at the second pit stop when Ferrari kept the Spaniard on the track after he had pitted.

But any concerns were shortlived, with Hamilton delivering a double-clenched fist pump to salute his third win of a season which has been characterised by collisions, controversy and personal problems away from the track.

Earlier in the week, Hamilton had spoken of the "happy bubble" surrounding team-mate Jenson Button this season.

On Sunday he experienced something similar by being able to dedicate his latest victory to mother Carmen, who had travelled to the Middle East to watch the race.

"It is great to be able to win while she's here," said Hamilton in the post-race aftermath.

"I feel fantastic, ecstatic, really happy to be back up here (on the top of the podium).

"That was one of my best races, in terms of my own performance, not making any mistakes. I feel I didn't make a single mistake in the race.

Pressure

"What with the things that have gone on, the pressure I've been under, with the doubt that has surrounded me.

"I'm just massively proud to have put that kind of performance together, and to have come on out on top.

"I said to myself as I slowed down, just being able to hold off one of the best drivers in the world (Alonso) throughout the race is something that is very, very tough to do, so this is great."

Asked whether he felt he was back on track, Hamilton added: "It is early days yet, but hopefully this is the start of something very good.

"We've another great race ahead of us in Brazil and I just have to keep my focus on that, try to keep the momentum.

"But you know how it goes. Anything can happen. I just have to keep my mind on the game."

It is a mind Hamilton claims has been "clearer" this weekend, that he has had "less weighing on me, less thoughts on the issues and problems I've got".

He added: "I was just able to drive clearly. Obviously in the last race I had that mistake (collision with Felipe Massa), when I wasn't thinking straight.

"But this weekend I've been thinking straight, and I don't know if that's because I've had great support here or what, but it's been a positive feeling all week."

Difficult

Button also produced a fine performance, securing a place on the podium despite struggling with the loss of his KERS power boost during the race.

"It was a difficult race for me, as I had a KERS Hybrid issue, which is admittedly very rare for us," he explained. "After about 15 laps it stopped working - and that doesn't just affect your power out of the corners, it affects engine braking too.

"Fortunately, my engineer came over the radio and told me they'd found a way to make it work again - but it meant pushing lots of buttons on the steering wheel every couple of laps because it only returned intermittently.

"I'd arrive at a corner and not know whether I had any engine braking because I had no warning. So selecting the right spot at which to brake was tough.

"Although the problem made for a tricky drive for me, it also made it even more satisfying to manage to keep it together and end up on the podium," he added.

Despite Hamilton's win, Button's result guarantees that he will finish above his team-mate this season - something Hamilton has never before experienced in the decade he has raced single-seaters.

Credit: Sky Sports (www.skysports.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment