Wednesday, December 15, 2010

GreenBkk Formula 1 | Piquet Jr apologies for 'Crashgate'

Piquet Jr apologies for 'Crashgate'

Nelson Piquet Jr has said he is sorry for the events that transpired in the 2008 Singapore Grand Prix.

During the race in 2008, Piquet Jr intentionally crashed into a wall to ensure that the safety car was employed, allowing team-mate Fernando Alonso to flourish with the Spaniard having pitted three laps before the incident, meaning he did not pit during the safety car period which saw him move from the back of the pack to the front.

It was later found that Piquet Jr had been ordered to crash by race engineer Pat Symonds and team boss Flavio Braitore.

The fallout was of course extensive, and as Piquet Jr looks to move on from the event once and for all he has apologised for his actions.

"It was an unfortunate episode, which has ended," the Brazilian told Globo Esporte.

"I made a mistake, I was immature, I apologise.

"It happens to many young people, who reach a position in a global sport for which they are unprepared for.

"What I can guarantee is that this will never happen again, that's in past. I am restarting a career, getting a second chance, and I think I deserve it. I have already proved to everyone that I am a winning driver," he added.

Piquet Jr has signed a deal with NASCAR team Kevin Harvick Inc for the 2011 season.

Credit: PlanetF1.com (www.planetf1.com)


No comments:

Post a Comment