Saturday, June 25, 2011

GreenBkk.com World Sport | Stenson and Coetzee share BMW lead

Stenson and Coetzee share BMW lead

June 24, 2011 -- Updated 2047 GMT (0447 HKT)


George Coetzee is on target to claim his first European Tour victory after a second successive 67 in Munich.

(CNN) -- Sweden's Henrik Stenson and South African George Coetzee share the lead after the second round of the BMW International Open in Munich.

Overnight leader Stenson carded a two-under-par 70, while Coetzee posted his second successive 67, to leave the pair on 134 (-10), one shot clear of Spain's Pablo Larrazabal.

A further five players are a further stroke behind, including Welshman Bradley Dredge who recorded a superb 66.

Former world number four Stenson, who is now ranked 124th in world, would have led by two strokes going into Saturday's third round, but for a disappointing bogey-bogey finish.

"It's never fun to finish with two bogeys, but you gain some, you lose some, sometimes that's the way it is," Stenson told the official European Tour website.

"I'm in a good position and I'm feeling very good. I had to fight a little bit early on, but I managed to stay patient," added Stenson, who has slipped down the rankings after going two years without a European Tour victory.

The 24-year-old Coetzee has still to win on the European Tour, and has still to appear in a major tournament.

However, he earned a place in next month's British Open by prevailing in a qualifying playoff, ironically against Larrazabal, a performance that has given him confidence.

"I believe I can win every single event and the more I get in contention in Europe, the more I will believe I should be up there," said Coetzee.

Credit: CNN (www.cnn.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment