Thursday, July 07, 2011

GreenBkk.com Formula 1 | Barrichello targets double milestone

Barrichello targets double milestone

Thursday 7th July 2011

Brazilian driver Rubens Barrichello believes he can still be competing in Formula One when he turns 40 next year.

And if he manages to do so then he'll also be racing in his 20th season in the sport - another milestone he is determined to achieve.

Barrichello is currently having with Williams with regards to extending his deal while the driver has already welcomed the news Renault will supply engines to Williams for at least the next two seasons.

Barrichello, who has started a record 311 grands prix, said: "I'm fully determined to be in Formula One next year.

"Next year I'll be 40, and I'll have been racing for 20 seasons in Formula One. They are good numbers, and I want those numbers.

"The most important thing is I just want to be racing next year, and hopefully I'll be here with Williams."

Since joining the Grove-based marque at the start of last season, Barrichello has not had an easy time, in particular this year when there were hopes they would be challenging towards the front.

Williams have taken a measly four points from eight races heading into Sunday's British Grand Prix, representing the worst start to a season in their history.

Barrichello, though, is determined to play his part in helping the famous name turn the corner again, believing the switch to Renault is a big step in the right direction.

"I nearly stopped in 2008, and then the following season I had a fantastic year with Brawn," added Barrichello.

"Since then, I'm now in my second season with Williams, and whilst last year was okay, this year has not been good.

"Despite that I still find pleasure in exploring the limits, so I definitely want to be racing next year, and I am in conversation with the team.

"They need to show me their interest as much as I'm showing mine, and then we can do business.

"The fact the best engine is going to be in the back of the car makes life a lot better, that's for sure.

"Power-wise, the Cosworth is quite good, but to have what Renault have - the resources, the driveability, the consumption....

"To have someone you know is working well on the back of your car is so much easier."

Barrichello, however, is not ruling out the prospect of switching to another team if Williams fail to offer him a reasonable deal.

"It's not a priority," said Barrichello.

"But if there are other people willing to talk about next year, and Williams doesn't want me to drive for them, then yes, I'll look at going elsewhere."

Next year I'll be 40, and I'll have been racing for 20 seasons in Formula One. They are good numbers, and I want those numbers.

Credit: ESPN STAR (www.espnstar.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment