Friday, July 29, 2011

GreenBkk.com Formula 1 | Hamilton targets Button longevity

Hamilton targets Button longevity

Friday 29th July 2011

Lewis Hamilton has every intention of emulating McLaren team-mate Jenson Button's milestone in Budapest this weekend.

Button will become only the 11th driver in F1 history to chalk up 200 grands prix when he competes in Sunday's race at the Hungaroring.

Currently in his fifth full season in F1, Hamilton has so far raced in 81 grands prix and will need to continue racing until he is 32 to equal Button's feat.

"I definitely can do it," said Hamilton when asked on the prospect.

"I've never ever seen any of my stats, but I did see the one the other day that said I'd done 81 races, which is quite a lot.

"So I'm pretty sure I'll be at 200 before you know it, but then it is a long way away."

And if he were to remain with McLaren for that time then he would stand every chance of becoming the team's most successful driver, surpassing the achievements of his hero Ayrton Senna.

Senna leads the way when it comes to victories (35) and pole positions (46), with Hamilton on 16 and 18 respectively.

"That would be pretty cool, pretty impressive," added Hamilton.

"Beating records is not necessarily what drives me. It's winning races and titles that does that.

"I've sixteen wins now, which to me sounds amazing. I can't believe I've had sixteen grands prix wins."

Hamilton's is still revelling in his latest triumph in Germany but the 26-year-old knows he cannot get too carried away.

"I think I've come down from it. You have to eventually get back to reality," added Hamilton.

"Of course, you carry the victory on, the confidence, and I was massively proud and happy for the couple of days that followed.

"I just had this inner happiness I've not had for a while, and I also spent some good time with my family.

"But now it re-sets. It's another very, very important weekend, one that will be massively difficult.

"So it's just down to business again. You get your thinking cap back on, you get your feet back on the ground and you get into it."

Normally for the end of July in Budapest, sunshine and temperatures of at least 30 degrees centigrade can be guaranteed.

But the weather over the last few days has taken a turn for the worse, with heavy rain on Thursday soaking the paddock.

The forecast is mixed for the next few days, with temperatures due to be in the low 20s, which could play into the hands of Hamilton and McLaren.

Again, though, Hamilton knows not to get ahead of himself, adding: "I don't want to speak too soon.

"You never know with the weather because it could be rapidly hot on Friday or the next day. I have heard it is going to get better and better.

"On my iPhone it says it's going to be 22 or 23 degrees throughout the weekend, which if true will be fantastic for us. Any hotter this weekend then we might struggle."

It is why Hamilton, a two-time winner at this track, has dismissed suggestions Sunday's triumph at the Nurburgring was a turning point for the season.

"The car's not changed," said Hamilton, who cut the gap to runaway leader Sebastian Vettel to 82 points.

"I'm confident in its reliability, in its performance, but we know it's definitely not the fastest car here.

"We know the others still have a very competitive car that suits certain conditions, and the Red Bull has been quick at every single track throughout the year.

"It was quick at the last race, it still grabbed pole, whereas we don't have a car that's fast everywhere. It's fast in some places, not so fast in others.

"All I can do is hope we can now challenge for more wins. That's what we work and aim for every weekend. We don't aim to finish third and fourth.

"The weekend probably sparked something special for the team, and hopefully it's encouraged them to push even more than they've ever pushed before."

Credit: ESPN STAR (www.espnstar.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment