Friday, July 22, 2011

GreenBkk.com Formula 1 | Lotus drop Trulli, promote Chandhok

Lotus drop Trulli, promote Chandhok

Thursday 21st July 2011

Ahead of the German Grand Prix, Team Lotus have dropped Jarno Trulli in favour of reserve driver Karun Chandhok.

Trulli has struggled with this season's Lotus, and according to reports from the BBC, the Formula 1 team have decided to give Chandhok his chance in Germany, as part of their previous agreement.

The Italian will be back in the car for the Hungarian Grand Prix, and Lotus will also have a new power-steering system in place by then, as the 37-year-old has complained about the previous system on several occasions this season.

Sunday's race in Germany will mark Chandhok's first appearance in F1, since a disappointing outing at Silverstone last year, where he was dropped by the Hispania team for Sakon Yamamoto.

The 27-year-old was excited at the upcoming opportunity, saying: "I want to thank Tony Fernandes, Kamarudin Meranun and SM Nasarudin for giving me the chance to race this weekend for Team Lotus.

"Ever since I first joined the team I have been looking forward to this opportunity and I am determined to do my best to repay their faith in me.

"I am approaching the weekend in a very realistic frame of mind. I will be doing my best to push and to make sure I learn as much as possible.

"I know there will be millions of Indian fans, and Team Lotus fans around the world, who will be behind me and the whole team, so I will do the best I can to give them something to cheer for."

However, Trulli's demotion is also likely to be considered as a message from Lotus, that Trulli needs to improve his performances to retain his position in the team.

Trulli has lined up behind team-mate Heikki Kovalainen eight out of nine races so far, a dismal record compared to last season, where he out-qualified the Finn 11 times to eight.

However, Team Lotus boss Tony Fernandes has admitted that his team plans to keep Trulli on board.

"I am delighted to confirm that we are in the process of negotiating an extension to his contract with us and we are all looking forward to unveiling the details of that very soon", the Malaysian said.

"He is a key member of our team and I hope that we can give him a car as soon as possible that allows him to utilise his very large talents to the full.

"For this weekend he will be on hand to lend his considerable experience and support to Karun and I am sure Jarno, Heikki and Karun will do me, the whole team and all our fans very proud indeed."

Trulli was gracious, despite the recent turn of events, saying he was "looking forward to working with Karun this weekend and doing whatever I can to help him get the most out of his opportunity in Germany".

The Italian added: "It's great that the team is true to its word of helping develop young talent, particularly from parts of the word where it is even harder to break through into the top rung of motorsport, so I'll be there to give him guidance and assistance, in and out of the car."

Credit: ESPN STAR (www.espnstar.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment