Friday, July 29, 2011

GreenBkk.com Formula 1 | Massa wants end to Hungarian hoodoo

Massa wants end to Hungarian hoodoo

Friday 29th July 2011

Felipe Massa is hoping he has put an end to his Hungarian horror shows as he returns to the Hungaroring this weekend.

Although Massa insists it is a track he enjoys, it had not been kind to the Brazilian before he secured fourth place there last year.

In particular, it was two years ago at this track Massa nearly lost his life during qualifying when struck on the helmet by a spring that had worked loose off the Brawn GP then driven by compatriot Rubens Barrichello.

"I've always had little problems on the weekends here," said the 30-year-old.

"I remember in 2007 in qualifying I had a problem and sat on the back. In 2008 I was leading with three laps to go and I had an engine failure, and in 2009 I had my accident, so every year something happens.

"Last year was my best one when I finished fourth, so I hope this year we can show good direction and finish on the podium, even try to win."

Knowing how close he came to becoming Formula One's first fatality since Ayrton Senna 17 years ago is particularly poignant for Massa on his return.

"This is a place I've always enjoyed, especially after my accident because I've now a lot of fans here and I really like the people," added Massa.

"On Thursday I was with the doctor who operated on me, so it is always a great pleasure to come back here. This is a good side.

"It is something you never forget, a good point, so I hope I can channel all this good energy into having a good weekend as well."

Massa is adamant he can compete with Fernando Alonso, even though he is the only driver who has been out-qualified at every race by his team-mate this season.

Massa has not even finished on the podium this year, yet he said: "For sure I can change things, in terms of working and trying to improve the direction.

"Fernando has done a better job than me, and I have no problem in saying that.

"But I'm working hard at all the races, in all directions, on the car, the set-up and hopefully I will get there. It's what we're working to achieve."

Credit: ESPN STAR (www.espnstar.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment