Thursday, November 04, 2010

GreenBkk Auto | 2011 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD LT Regular Cab

2011 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD LT Regular Cab


NEWS EDITOR GREG MIGLIORE: There aren’t many better times to pilot a heavy-duty truck than on a crisp fall morning. On this day, which was one of those beautiful tweener mornings where you can almost watch the seasons change, my drive was dimly lit yet highlighted by streaks of the rising sun. In a Silverado with a tall and commanding road view and a mug of hot coffee to sip, it was a soothing ride in.

The power of this Vortec V8 is impressive. I wish I could have stretched its legs more, but on the expressway, it has the feel of a locomotive, with the six-speed smoothly shifting gears to build power. It was also clutch when I had to execute a late-developing merge on a service drive--one of those moments where if you hesitate, all is lost. This Silverado was more than up to the task.

The brakes are strong with near-immediate grab. The steering is a bit light--the main weight I feel is from these massive wheels. But there’s still more response than from the Ram trucks, though those have their own distinguishing drive character. The suspension in the Silverado is a bit shaky; I had to lift my coffee for fear it might spill when bumping over train tracks, and uneven pavement did throw this thing a bit. Not as good as the Ram or Fords in this department.

The interior is a nice environment. The materials look and feel clean and everything is laid out in a natural fashion. It feels like a big, well-done Chevy truck with some comfortable options. Also worth noting, these seats are great; you sink into them just enough to be relaxed yet still in charge. I will say, the fuel economy is a bit scary--I got just more than 11 mpg. If you need this for work, great. If not, I don’t know how you could rationalize commuting in it. Common sense says most people wouldn’t.

The Detroit Three makes imposing and impressive big trucks. This one is a fine example.

ASSISTANT ART DIRECTOR CHERYL L. BLAHNIK: This is a pure work vehicle with its regular cab and long box out back. Just driving this everyday on the expressway unloaded would be a total waste of this truck’s capabilities.

Luckily, I needed such capabilities to pick up a four-wheeler last night. It easily slotted into the spacious bed, and we were on our way. I had my brother-in-law with me riding shotgun. He is a big, tall guy and he didn’t have a ton of legroom, which is surprising with this being an HD model.

The truck rides, well, like a big truck, which means you feel every bump in the road. But the highlight of this truck is the engine. With the Vortec V8 under the hood, you can really get moving in a hurry. Ultimately, you won’t be able to haul as much as diesel-equipped models, but this is still a really strong gasoline engine.

EDITOR WES RAYNAL: Migliore makes a good point: A cool fall morning, a hot cup of coffee and a big pickup--doesn’t get much better than that.

Over the years I’ve made no secret of my love for trucks, and this along with Ford’s F-250 Super Duty are both terrific big heavy-duty pickups. The view of the road is commanding, the seats are comfortable, and there’s a ton of power (though I do like the diesel’s download torque better).

As I said when I drove the last one we had here, the diesel, the steering is good for a truck, considering it’s a heavy-duty. The long-term Ram we have here rides better but isn’t heavy duty.

I love these new Silverado HDs.

ASSISTANT ART DIRECTOR/DESIGNER TARA KLEIN: Ever since my dad got an F-150 many years ago, I’ve been a fan of trucks. The high ride height, the feeling of power and knowing anything that I pick up at a store (or flea market) can easily make it home are a few of the reasons my heart has been won over. This Silverado 2500 is a bit more truck than my dad’s, but these same basic feelings were apparent.

When I hopped in, I was greeted with a very basic yet nice interior. It had the utilitarian vibe, and everything was placed in the cabin in a very logical way. There was nothing frou-frou about this truck, and this solidified its stance as a heavy-duty, no-nonsense vehicle that’s ready to work.

I could easily feel the power behind this Silverado as I drove on the expressway. There wasn’t a scenario that I didn’t feel comfortable taking on behind its wheel, so I just took my time to enjoy the ride. Bumps are hit with quite a bit of force, which at first was slightly jarring, but I found it just to be a friendly reminder that I was in a heavy-duty truck.

Like the Sierra 3500, this was equipped with massive towing mirrors, and I have the same mixed feelings about them. I do appreciate the enlarged viewing area they provide, which is necessary for a truck of this size. However, the span and size of the mirrors themselves also leads to another set of blind spots that need to be carefully looked around before making a move.

Even though the regular cab didn’t quite provide the amount of space I’d prefer, I was happy to have another truck experience in one of this caliber.

EDITORIAL INTERN JAKE LINGEMAN: I took the Silverado to the Fox Theater last night for a concert; luckily I was only bringing one person. I appreciated the single rear wheel and the small cab when trying to find a place to park among the small, rocky lots that dot the downtown Detroit area.

I wasn’t worried about the truck because it’s not too flashy. It doesn’t have giant chrome wheels or a big, low front bumper. It just blends in. When I saw it in the garage, I actually thought it was beige, until I got it home. The silver is a pretty good look for this thing. I don’t even mind the black plastic on the hood; it reminds me of one of those trucks with a snorkel for deep water.

The 2500 model is tightly sprung, obviously. With zero weight in the back, we did bounce around a bit, especially when turning over broke pavement.

The power is great. I can’t see a situation where you would need more. The torque from the diesel is better, but unless you’re doing some serious tractor pulls, you won’t need it.

Side note: Whenever I see the Silverado, I always think of the song “Desperado.” Silverado, why don’t you come to your senses, when you’re out ridin’ fences . . .

2011 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD LT Regular Cab

Base Price: $35,305

As-Tested Price: $37,680

Drivetrain: 6.0-liter V8; 4WD, six-speed automatic

Output: 360 hp @ 5,400 rpm, 380 lb-ft @ 4,200 rpm

Curb Weight: 5,920 lb

Fuel Economy (EPA/AW): N/A/11.8 mpg

Options: HD trailering equipment package including locking rear differential, integrated trailer-brake controller ($780); interior plus package including power seat adjust, driver six-way, CD player with USB port, steering-wheel radio controls, Bluetooth for phone ($550); on-the-job package including skid-resistant bed liner, bed rail protectors, bed-mounted tie-down hooks ($495); mirrors, camper style, heated, power adjustable ($240); electric rear-window defogger ($175); engine-block heater ($75); inside rearview mirror, auto-dimming ($60)

Credit: Auto Week


No comments:

Post a Comment