Wednesday, November 24, 2010

GreenBkk Auto | 2011 Honda CR-Z EX

2011 Honda CR-Z EX

Credit: Auto Week (www.autoweek.com)


JAKE LINGEMAN

EDITOR WES RAYNAL: I used to love the CRX, and after that I thought the Insight was cool--the two-seat one, not the five-door out now.

As for this, if you leave it out of eco mode, it's sort of an entertaining little scooter, like a throwback hot hatch: cool exhaust note and good steering and body control. Eco is one of three modes. It really whacks power but is OK for stop-and-go commuting. Sport quickens the throttle response with a big difference between the two. Normal is in between. None of the modes are rockets; this car looks faster than it is.

The interior is typical Honda: inexpensive-looking materials screwed together well and controls laid out logically. The seats are average at best, and they need more thigh support.

EDITORIAL INTERN JAKE LINGEMAN: Great gearbox in this car. It's really a joy to slide a shifter from spot to spot. There's no chance for a missed gear, just smooth, bolt-action shifting from first to sixth.

I really like this car. The styling is cool, the off-blue color and the wheels make for a sharp-looking package. It obviously harks back to the CRX days.

The hybrid setup is trick. The changing gauge colors, from green to red, tell you how efficient your driving is. But I wonder whether the normal, sport and eco modes just change the throttle response. It feels a good bit faster in sport mode but the clutch action seems to be different. I was driving around in normal mode most of the weekend. When switched to sport, I had to completely revamp my takeoff technique. It definitely sounds meaner in sport mode.

This car is more convenient than you would expect, even though it only carries around two people. I stopped in at a baby shower on Saturday and had no trouble flipping the back "seat" down to take care of the overflow gifts. A few baby seats, some bags and a cake all slid into the hatch without a problem.

The last CR-Z we tested had tight steering and was even referred to as "twitchy" sometimes. I didn't notice it last time but this one required constant attention on the expressway--I wasn't sure if it was the wind or just me. I'm glad someone else experienced it.

I recorded 35 mpg over the weekend and that was driving "normally," which is probably more aggressive than most. I bet with a little care you could get 40 mpg.

The price is sweet, at just little more than $20,000. I can see Honda selling a bunch of these things.

2011 Honda CR-Z EX

Base Price: $21,510

As-Tested Price: $21,510

Drivetrain: 1.5-liter I4 hybrid; FWD, six-speed manual

Output: 122 hp @ 6,000 rpm, 128 lb-ft @ 1,000-1,750 rpm

Curb Weight: 2,654 lb

Fuel Economy (EPA/AW): 33/35.1 mpg

Options: None

Credit: Auto Week (www.autoweek.com)


No comments:

Post a Comment