Monday, April 04, 2011

GreenBkk.com Formula 1 | Nicolas Hamilton makes racing debut

Nicolas Hamilton makes racing debut


Nicolas Hamilton talks to brother Lewis ahead of his Renault Clio Cup debut © Getty Images

Nicolas Hamilton made a solid start to his racing career over the weekend, finishing in both races at Brands Hatch.

Nicolas, who suffers from cerebral palsy, is competing in the Renault Clio Cup this season, and had his brother Lewis and dad Anthony watching him after the pair flew back from Australia. Having finished 12th out of 12 finishers on Saturday, Nicolas showed good potential despite being taken out by his team-mate in Sunday's second race, recovering from almost a lap down to finish only five seconds behind the penultimate finisher in 15th place.

Nicolas was pleased with the start he had made, and said he was focused on progressing as the season goes on.

"I'm enjoying every minute," he told the Daily Telegraph. "I've never raced before and I've only driven the car six times. I'm trying to improve as much as possible. I have my disability, but I try not to see it as a disadvantage and see it as an advantage instead."

2008 Formula One World Champion Lewis signalled his intention to be present to support his brother after the Australian Grand Prix, but admitted he had difficulty getting to the track in time.

"I was grateful to get back," Lewis said. "My flight was delayed and I nearly missed the first race, but it was cool to be here."

Anthony Hamilton was impressed with his son's performance, and predicted that Nicolas would have a competitive season.

"I think Nic's done a fantastic job this weekend," Anthony said. "If you go back four months, I would never have expected him to drive a car, let alone race a car. What to expect is a young guy who, despite his disabilities and lack of experience, is going to create some great racing. I think you'll see him mid-pack by the end of the year."

Credit: ESPN F1 (en.espnf1.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment