Friday, April 29, 2011

GreenBkk.com Inter | Cambiasso: "I could write a book..."

Cambiasso: "I could write a book..."

Thursday, 28 April 2011 19:45:10

APPIANO GENTILE - "Certain things are just part of the game. Nearly seven years ago, when I arrived here at Inter, I realised that you need to cut yourself off from everything that goes on around you, outside, in order to give your best. The sooner you learn that, the better. And if you're not able to do that, it will be hard for you to become part of a big club like Inter." There has been a lot of talk in the papers and on TV about Inter having to be rebuilt from scratch, about the end of an era, about the dozens of potential transfer targets, the comings and goings. This was another of the topics touched upon by Esteban Cambiasso in his interview with Antonio Bartolomucci for Mediaset's Studio Sport (which will also be shown tomorrow, on the 13:00 edition of the programme). "In these seven years I have read and heard so many things, 'certainties' that we have proved wrong: we used to be a team that never won anything, then we were a team that never won in Europe, then to prove ourselves we had to conquer the world... I could write at least one book about all the things that have been said. That's why I say that you have to be able to cut yourself off from it all."

Not getting involved in the very public debates about your team doesn't mean living in a virtual reality. Rather, it means developing an ability to be self-critical - both of yourself and of the team - but to keep it within the club. "We footballers are the first to criticise ourselves," the midfielder repeated several times. His own analysis goes deeper than some of the more superficial ones made from the outside. "So I've scored more goals this year? Maybe in the second half of the season, but in the first half I only got one in Europe against Twente and one in the league against Parma. Since then, it's true, I have scored more [7 goals in total; he scored 8 in 2007/08 - ed.] and maybe the reason is that I have played slightly further forward, on the left of a three-man midfield or even further up, like against Catania."

"For Cambiasso, there is always a reason. And it is never banal. "My future is at Inter. I'm happy here. Not because I'm looking for a comfort zone. I wouldn't like to get too comfortable because that is when you stop trying to improve. I'm happy here because I feel good; I feel liked and important. Those are the conditions that help you keep giving more."

The immediate future is Cesena v Inter, the opening game of the Week 35 fixtures in a league with AC Milan sitting top. "I have, we have, respect for all our opponents. If they win it come the end of the season, it will mean that they have done everything a team needs to do to win such a long and tough tournament. So they will have done what we have always done when we have won Scudettos in recent years."

Credit: Internazionale Milano (www.inter.it)

No comments:

Post a Comment