Friday, April 29, 2011

GreenBkk.com Inter | Leonardo: "Much more of a coach now than before"

Leonardo: "Much more of a coach now than before"

Friday, 29 April 2011 14:21:52

APPIANO GENTILE - "I think Cesena are playing really well at the moment. They have plenty of enthusiasm and tomorrow they will give us a tough game. For our part, we'll go there hungry to win. They are a team that leave you few reference points and that certainly makes them difficult to play against. We've had a week to work with nearly everyone available, except Sneijder, who unfortunately won't be involved because he is struggling a little, and Stankovic." That was how Leonardo began his press conference on the eve of the match against Cesena in Serie A 2010/11 Week 35, which will be played tomorrow at 18:00 at the Stadio Dino Manuzzi.

"Our aim," Leonardo continued, "is very clear: to go into each game to get a positive result, both in the league, where we want to hold on to second place, and of course in the Coppa Italia. These players know how important these goals are to us. Personally, after this period we've been through, and even after the defeats, I feel more of a coach now. What mark would I give myself? No mark, I can't give myself a mark, but I feel much more of a coach now than before, and I know that this is what I want to do. I feel stronger: it's a moment of growth for me. I've changed and I will keep changing."

Asked about the perceived need to shake up the squad, the coach replied: "Inter already has a team here. I don't understand this talk about it being 'the end of a cycle'. Really, I don't see much sense in putting it like that. And even less so if you think that this year, with all the problems there have been and after winning everything in the last five years, we're fighting to win the Coppa Italia and for second place in the league, with players who are world champions and who won the Italian Super Cup."

The next question was whether Leonardo had spoken to José Mourinho since the first leg of the Champions League semi-final between Real Madrid and Barcelona. "No, we haven't spoken. It's difficult to analyse what happened from where I am; I would need more information to do that."

Quizzed on the club's transfer targets, the Brazilian replied: "Now is not the time to think about next year. Next year is next year."

And what about the problem of making up for the absence of Sneijder and Stankovic, two players who often play in the hole between midfield and attack? "The midfielders we have here can play anywhere," was the convinced reply.

Returning to tomorrow's game against Cesena, the coach insisted that "Inter want to win this game for the goals that we have always had, which is to win. It has nothing to do with AC Milan." And speaking of the Rossoneri, if Inter should reach the final, who would he prefer to meet: AC Milan or Palermo? "We just want to reach the final. It doesn't matter who the opposition is."

In the light of Schalke 04's defeat to Manchester United, Leonardo admitted feeling regret: "Yes, there is a lot of regret, but we have to go on."

Finally, Leonardo fielded another question about his future: "I've taken on a role and I'm still here and willing to do it. I'm happy, I want to keep going and I'm more convinced than ever that being a coach is the job for me. I will be here as long as I have the strength to do so; when I no longer have that strength I won't be here. And I will always do what I can for the club."

Credit: Internazionale Milano (www.inter.it)

No comments:

Post a Comment