Sunday, July 31, 2011

GreenBkk.com Red Bull F1 | PAUL MONAGHAN: THE FIRST TIME I… WENT ON AN F1 PODIUM

PAUL MONAGHAN: THE FIRST TIME I… WENT ON AN F1 PODIUM

on Jul 31, 2011


Standing on the podium as a winning driver is a rarity, but it’s even less frequent for team members. Here, our Head of Car Engineering, Paul Monaghan recalls…

“My first time on podium was in Valencia last year. Seb had come across the line and there was a great sense of satisfaction from winning the race, but there was also enormous relief that Mark had walked away from a very big accident, which was very worrying at the time. I was in the middle of thinking about that when I got the call to go up to the podium. I think it was Jonathan (Wheatley, Team Manager) who informed me that I had been chosen to represent the team. I was slightly surprised and shocked, but in a good way; all you can do is say, ‘Yes, ok, brilliant!’ The trouble is that you have no idea of where to go and what the protocol is! You’re trying to work out which end of the pitlane is the podium end and you have no clue how to get through to where you’re supposed to be. I wandered down the pitlane and saw Herbie Blash, he just smiled and said ‘Oh, it’s you this week is it?’ He sent me in the right direction and up behind the podium. Seb appeared, we had a bit of a giggle and Jenson was up there as well. I know him of old, so we had a quick chat and got ready to go out. Of course, I’d turned up with a camera in my pocket, a phone and a load of other bits and pieces. (Allsport’s) Alex Molina, who looks after the podium ceremony, said to me ‘you might not want to take that stuff out there’, because of the champagne. It’s just fantastic when you walk out. To be honest, you don’t notice the crowd in the grandstands too much. You’re aware there’s a big crowd, but you’re focused on your own guys, and what was most pleasing for me was to see the sea of Red Bull people down below. It was great to be able to celebrate with them. They work far harder than I ever do and deserve every success they get. It’s more for them as a team than for you personally, you’re just going up to represent the winning constructor and all those people. As for the champagne part, I saw the bottle, I think it’s a Jeroboam, so pretty big, and Seb pointed it at me and I thought ‘Go on then, I reckon I can drink all that!’ I had a go and failed miserably, so I got properly drenched. But that’s what it’s all about. It might never happen again, so you have to enjoy it as much as you can. It really is amazing. Am I looking forward to the next time? Yes, please.”

Credit: Red Bull Racing Formula one Team (www.redbullracing.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment