Friday, November 11, 2011

GreenBkk.com Formula 1 | Schumi's backing for Kimi

Schumi's backing for Kimi

German hopes to see Raikkonen back in F1

Last Updated: November 11, 2011 7:39am


Kimi Raikkonen: Has held talks with Williams over a potential return to F1

Michael Schumacher would welcome Kimi Raikkonen back to Formula One with open arms - both for their on-track rivalry and off-track good times.

After two years driving in the World Rally Championship, Raikkonen has held talks with Williams about making a return to F1.

Although 2007 world champion would not come cheap, it is understood Williams are working on ways of financing a deal for Raikkonen.

And seven-time champion Schumacher would relish the prospect as he said: "I would be very happy to see him back.

"We have had some very good times, and I look forward to some on-track and off-track occasions! It will be good."

Schumacher, who spent three years in retirement before opting to return with Mercedes, believes Raikkonen would have no trouble making a return despite his own period away from F1.

Potential

The 42-year-old German added: "You think about your potential, about how much can you drive the car to its limit.

"That was the main concern I had, and one I was able to answer right away at my first test.

"It took me probably 15 laps to get back in and drive the car, not at its limit but close, and from then on it was just a matter of time.

"I am pretty sure with Kimi he is capable of doing so."

Schumacher, though, knows when it comes to considering any kind of return, his thoughts on the matter three years ago will be very different to the ones currently going through Raikkonen's mind.

Schumacher said: "The only thing I am thinking is that he thinks completely different!

"So there is no point trying to figure out what I thought about at the time and relating it to him. Instead, I will leave it to you to figure it out."

Credit: Sky Sports (www.skysports.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment