Friday, July 15, 2011

GreenBkk.com Formula 1 | Injured Kubica 'satisfied' with progress

Injured Kubica 'satisfied' with progress

July 14, 2011 -- Updated 1542 GMT (2342 HKT)


Former Sauber driver Robert Kubica has been with Renault since 2010, and has a contract until the end of next year.

(CNN) -- Formula One driver Robert Kubica believes he is on track in his recovery from injuries sustained during a rally crash in February.

The Pole had surgery to his arms and legs following the incident during the Ronde di Andora rally in Northern Italy, which led to his Lotus Renault team signing German racer Nick Heidfeld as a replacement for the 2011 season.

Kubica, 26, stopped short of naming a date for his return to the cockpit and insisted he will not rush his comeback.

"I am satisfied with how things are proceeding," the former Sauber driver told Renault's official web site as he answered fans' questions.

Kubica discharged from Italian hospital

"The improvement is in line with the expectations, and luckily there are no complications that could affect the recovery time.

"It is still too early to have a clear picture for the timing of my return, but the important thing is the final outcome not the hurry.

"Physically, I am still a bit weak but my general condition is quite good. My weight has now returned to its normal level and for a few weeks I've been able to walk without help. All in all I feel pretty well."

Kubica spent nearly three months at the Santa Corona hospital in the town of Pietra Ligure following the crash.

"I don't have any memory of the accident, and I am just aware of the consequences it had. So, to me, it's as if it never happened," he said.

The Krakow-born racer also denied any suggestion his future may lie away from Renault.

"I'm a Renault driver. Of course, I'm missing not being able to drive this season but I feel that my job in Enstone [the team's British headquarters] isn't finished yet."

Renault currently sit fifth in the constructors' standings after nine rounds of the season.

Heidfeld has collected 34 points, three more than his Russian teammate Vitaly Petrov.

Credit: CNN (www.cnn.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment