Monday, December 13, 2010

GreenBkk Formula 1 | Vettel: I hope there's more to come

Vettel: I hope there's more to come


Winning the 2010 World Championship could not have been any sweeter for Sebastian Vettel after some "tough lessons" during the season.

Vettel, who received his trophy from the FIA on Friday, wrapped up the title in style in the final race of the season when he won the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix. It was a victory against the odds as he was 15 points behind pacesetter Fernando Alonso going into the race.

With a maiden Championship under his belt, Vettel plans to become an even better driver.

"I hope there is much more to come," he told Autosport. "I want to become a better driver and a better person, but I think this year has been a very tough lesson, but with a very sweet outcome in the end."

The German was often accused of not being a team player during the 2010 season, but those allegations have been put to bed after it emerged that he tried to help team-mate Mark Webber in Hungary to his detriment.

Vettel tried to hold the field up behind the Safety Car to give Webber a gap at the restart, but he was instead penalised for exceeding the 10-car length.

The 23-year-old, though, says what happened earlier this year is now in the past and he is not going to make "speeches" about it now.

"I am who I am," he said. "I don't need to make any talk about that. I didn't do it all year and I won't do it now - it is not the time. In the end, I learned a lot this year and what matters most is when you get back - either to a hotel or to home - and finally you can face yourself in the mirror and know exactly what happened. You have to understand it yourself and deep down in your heart you have to know what is going on.

"That is more important than whatever people think, or they write or say. In the end, it is impossible to please everybody. Sometimes it might be seen from a different angle, but as long as you know for yourself, then that is all that matters. I don't want to make any speeches now, because I haven't done all year, and it's not the time to."

Credit: PlanetF1.com (www.planetf1.com)


No comments:

Post a Comment