Friday, January 14, 2011

GreenBkk Formula 1 | Massa: I can battle for the title

Massa: I can battle for the title

Felipe Massa insists he can handle the pressure brought on by a poor 2010 campaign and rumours that Ferrari have already lined-up his replacement.

Massa struggled last season, failing to win a single grand prix as he slumped to sixth place in the Drivers' Championship, a massive 112 points behind Championship winner Sebastian Vettel.

His disappointing results leading to rumours that this year's Championship could be his last with Ferrari as the Scuderia want Vettel as his replacement in 2012.

Questioned about the rumours earlier this week, team boss Stefano Domenicali refused to comment, although he did make it clear that Ferrari want a team-mate for Fernando Alonso who is able to match the Spaniard's performances.

"It would be wrong to say anything at the beginning of the season," Domenicali said.

"I hope it will be close between them; that he will be as good, or maybe even faster than Fernando. But for sure we need two strong drivers to win the Constructors' title."

He added: "Felipe had a difficult season, but I am totally convinced that he will know how to react in just the right way, as he capable of doing.

"He is a total professional, who has grown here with us and we can count on him: I expect him to be motivated to the maximum."

And the Brazilian insists he is motivated and confident that if Ferrari give him a car that suits him, he will challenge for the 2011 World title.

"I've always felt pressure in my career - indeed I'm the first to put pressure on myself," said the 29-year-old.

"You notice external pressure but it's much less important. What counts is what you show on the track, inside the cockpit of the car, and how the team makes you feel - and I feel the faith and respect that Ferrari has for me.

"I like reading that they speak well of me, I certainly don't deny that, but I think that's the same for everyone. What counts is that I know, if I have a car that suits my characteristics, that I will be able to battle for the title.

"(Ferrari president Luca) Di Montezemolo has spoken about having my brother driving in certain races last year? But he'd already spoken about brothers the year before - that time it was Kimi's!

"I know that last year things didn't go well but now we have to look to the future and do well this year."

Credit: PlanetF1.com (www.planetf1.com)


No comments:

Post a Comment