Friday, January 14, 2011

GreenBkk Formula 1 | Massa ready to take fight to Alonso

Massa ready to take fight to Alonso

Felipe Massa is hoping for a better season in 2011 © Getty Images

Felipe Massa is determined to overcome the problems that held him back in 2010 and take the fight to Ferrari team-mate Fernando Alonso in 2011.

By his own admission Massa had a disappointing season in 2010, as he struggled to come to terms with Bridgestone's narrower front tyres. This year Pirelli is providing new tyres to F1 and, after getting a quick taste of the 2011 rubber at the end-of-season test in Abu Dhabi last year, Massa is confident he will be able to regain his form this season.

"If I can drive like I want I will be in the title race too," he is quoted by La Gazzetta dello Sport. "I know I did not drive well last season, I had some issues particularly with the front tyres, I was never able to find the right grip, but this is a new season, with a new car and there is already a good feeling."

He finished 108 points off Alonso in 2010 and is hoping to close that gap in 2011. When asked who his strongest opponent would be in 2011, he replied: "The strongest opponent? For what he has done in the past [Michael] Schumacher will always be No. 1, but I am ready for the fight, even with Alonso."

Massa has not won a race since 2008, but despite his poor run of form he is not feeling any extra pressure.

"I don't feel like I am under scrutiny, it has always been like this at Ferrari. It's a new year. The objective is always to win, that is all I think about, I had a poor 2010 but in 2011 I am confident I can compete for the championship."

Credit: ESPN F1 (espn.com)


No comments:

Post a Comment