Monday, July 11, 2011

GreenBkk.com Formula 1 | Barrichello laments poor start

Barrichello laments poor start

Monday 11th July 2011

Veteran driver Rubens Barrichello admits Williams' poor start to the British Grand Prix caused them dearly at Silverstone on Sunday.

Williams

Rubens Barrichello: "We didn't have the best of starts and fell back quite a bit. Strangely, the car didn't feel good in the wet and it was a struggle to keep it on the track. It was also difficult to keep up with the guys in front of us. We had hoped for a better result at our home Grand Prix."

Pastor Maldonado: "It was quite difficult for us today [Sunday] especially with the light rain shortly before the start. Our car set-up was geared towards a dry race so we were compromised from the outset. Towards the end, our performance was better but by that stage it was too late. Unfortunately it wasn't the best weekend for us."

Virgin

Timo Glock: "A good race for us today [Sunday] and a good result for the team in getting both cars to the finish in our home Grand Prix. It was quite a normal race for us I would say. I got a good start and a good first lap. The first couple of corners were a bit of a mess but when everything started to settle down I was in front of Jarno and could hold my pace okay to stay in front of him.

After they were out of the race I had a relatively easy time. It wasn't possible to gain places so I didn't push too hard; I just concentrated on achieving our objective today [Sunday] which was another two-car finish. I'm happy for us and hope for more of the same in my home race in Germany in two weeks' time."

Jerome D'Ambrosio: "It was very difficult at the beginning when it was wet and I lost quite a bit of time there. Then in the second stint it was ok. I had a good fight with Tonio and managed to overtake him.

The last stint was very difficult, after a couple of laps I had no grip on the front left tyre so I couldn't attack much and I just had to back off all the time and just make sure I could last until the end of the race. I was quite worried I might have to come back into the pits again but I managed to keep going and get to the end."

Hispania

Tonio Liuzzi: "It was a difficult race, but we knew this since Friday as we've had a lot of problems. It was a tricky one from the beginning because of the tyres. Tyre choice wasn't easy, we went with intermediates because the track was wet at the beginning but this made everything more interesting.

We had a good start with good pace, we were able to catch and fight our nearest rival which is what we wanted to achieve in this race because we knew we didn't have the pace to beat them. But we competed until the last lap and now we have to work hard for the Nurburgring."

Daniel Ricciardo: "I feel quite good to finish and see the checkered flag. It was nice to get the laps, which I think was the most important thing for me today [Sunday] for experience. Understanding the tyres, the pit stops and the strategy, it's really very complex and something I've never really done before, so in this respect I think it was a step forward.

I was quite a bit off the other competitors but I think that, as I learn, I will get a bit closer. I also need to try and manage the blue flags a bit better, it's not easy. At the end, looking at it now, I'm quite pleased with the result. Wednesday was a big introduction to Formula 1, meeting the team and making the seat, it was never going to be easy or perfect but to finish the race is a good result for us.

My expectations for the next race are to learn and move forward, to be a bit closer to Tonio in qualifying and to try and close the gap in the race, I think that is a good target for now."

Credit: ESPN STAR (www.espnstar.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment