Tuesday, August 16, 2011

GreenBkk.com Formula 1 | Schumacher: You will see me in 2012

Schumacher: You will see me in 2012


Mercedes’ Michael Schumacher has moved to rebuff rumours that he is set to retire (again) at the end of the 2011 season. It follows recent speculation that the seven-time champion could be replaced for 2012 in light of his disappointing form since joining the German team last year.

Schumacher was overshadowed by younger team mate Nico Rosberg in 2010, and although he has closed the gap this season, Rosberg has still scored 50 percent more points thus far in 2011. Nevertheless, the 42-year-old insists he will be fulfilling his Mercedes contract next year.

"Despite some funny rumours and stupid untruthful stories, I keep repeating myself that you will have to see me in 2012, whether you like it or don't like it," Schumacher said in an interview with Mercedes' website.

Schumacher’s best result this season has been his fourth place in June’s Canadian race and the team have already conceded that their 2011 car, the MGP W02, is unlikely to ever challenge frontrunners Red Bull, McLaren and Ferrari.

"I will be there,” said Schumacher, looking ahead to what he hopes will be a brighter 2012. “And the good thing is that I have a lot of support from all around, in particular from the company, in particular from the team, that they all wish me to be there, so I wish to be there, so I look forward to it."

Rosberg has also struggled to extract podium-challenging pace from the MGP W02 and despite consistently strong qualifying performances - he has reached Q3 at every 2011 round - has yet to better fifth place in a race this year.

Credit: Formula One Administration Ltd (www.formula1.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment