Friday, September 09, 2011

GreenBkk.com Williams F1 | Italy's Q&A with Pastor Maldonado

Italy's Q&A with Pastor Maldonado

Posted on Friday 09 Sep 2011


Pastor Maldonado’s first world championship point in Belgium a fortnight ago was big news back home in Caracas. Now, the world’s fastest Venezuelan wants to repeat that feat at Monza on Sunday.

Q: How was your first world championship point received in Venezuela?
PM: It was big news! The country expects more than one world championship point from me, but it was a start. There are two TV channels broadcasting F1, so the sport is getting more and more popular. I’ve been busy with media requests since Spa, but it’s been a nice problem to have.

Q: Have you and Lewis Hamilton cleared the air since Spa?
PM: Everything that needed to be said was said at Spa. We spoke in the motorhome on the Saturday evening and there are no problems between us. We are good friends and have been for many years, so it’s not a problem. Now we look forward.

Q: You did a straight-line aero test last week. How did the FW33 feel in low downforce trim?
PM: It felt okay, but I know it will be completely different here at Monza due to the high kerbs and the high speeds. This is the kind of track where the driver must feel very confident in his car, especially under braking, because you’re going from very high speeds to very low speeds. The track improves a lot as more rubber goes down, so you need to be aware of that too.

Q: Monza is a power track. How does the Cosworth engine stack up against its rivals?
PM: It’s okay; if there is a difference to the Mercedes or the Ferrari it’s not that big. But, as you say, Monza is a power track and we’ll see exactly where we are this weekend. Both Rubens and I have new engines for this race, so that should help.

Q: You’re driving better and better; how much have you improved during 2011?
PM: I feel more confident with the team, with the car – with everything. It takes time for a rookie to adapt to F1 and I feel I’ve done a good job at that. I feel at home at AT&T Williams; the team is great. They always want more. My only mission here is to improve race-after-race.

Q: Monza the last track on the calendar that you know from GP2?
PM: I know Abu Dhabi as well, but there’s no doubt that the next part of the championship is going to be very important for me. I need to learn the new tracks, especially Singapore, which looks quite complicated. But I’m not afraid of hard work; I like having something new to discover and I’m confident. I feel ready.

Credit: Williams F1 (www.williamsf1.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment