Monday, June 27, 2011

GreenBkk.com Formula 1 | Jaime Alguersuari confident of his Toro Rosso future

Jaime Alguersuari confident of his Toro Rosso future

Page last updated at 17:48 GMT, Sunday, 26 June 2011 18:48 UK


Alguersuari delighted with eighth place

Jaime Alguersuari is confident his future at Toro Rosso is secure after a second successive points finish at the European Grand Prix in Valencia.

Alguersuari has been outqualified by team-mate Sebastien Buemi in six out of eight races, while reserve driver Daniel Ricciardo is competing to start.

But the Spaniard hopes finishing eighth in Valencia will end any speculation.

"I don't think my future is under question or that I will be replaced," the 21-year-old told BBC Sport.

"I don't care because I want to enjoy the best of Formula 1.

"I do my very best job race after race and I think we can score some points at Silverstone [in the next race]. We had some problems but in life problems exist.

"You always need to push to recover problems and evaluate yourself and progress. I think we are doing a good job because we are recovering this pace we didn't have at the beginning of the year."

Alguersuari's early-season form had been poor, while he had dropped out of the first part of qualifying in his previous three races.

And promising Australian driver Ricciardo was given track time during Friday's practice session at the Canadian Grand Prix two weeks ago, increasing speculation about Alguersuari's position with the Italian team.

But after scoring his first points of the season in Montreal when he finished eighth, Alguersuari is now with Buemi on eight points in the drivers' championship, following a composed drive in Valencia.

And Alguersuari, who became the youngest ever Formula 1 driver at the age of 19 years and 125 days in 2009, believes his results will improve as his understanding of the STR6 broadens.

"I think I am doing a good job, I am learning a lot and I think there is more to come," he added.

"The upgrades we had in the car this weekend were important and for sure the race consistency was the key to score some points.

"I am happy because we are progressing. It's not just about the result today, you feel you understand the tyres and the car better.

"The engineers know and understand the car better and help you improve your performance. Formula 1 takes time."

Credit: BBC (www.bbc.co.uk)

No comments:

Post a Comment