Monday, July 11, 2011

GreenBkk.com Formula 1 | Alonso: This one's for the team

Alonso: This one's for the team

Monday 11th July 2011

Fernando Alonso dedicated his victory at the British Grand Prix to everyone associated with Ferrari after ending their eleven-race search for a win.

Ferrari

Fernando Alonso: "What a wonderful surprise! The team did an amazing job and I dedicate this win to everyone at Maranello and at the track, whose work has allowed me and Felipe to drive such a good car. It is a very special win because it comes at a legendary track like Silverstone, in front of a crowd that is so enthusiastic about cars.

"Also, the track characteristics were not really suited to our car, but clearly, the improvements we brought here helped a lot. At the start, it was not easy to drive because parts of the circuit were very wet and others were only damp in parts. There were some tricky moments, like when Hamilton overtook me, but we stayed very calm all the time, convinced we could get something out of it. I only realised I could win when I came back out on track after the final pit stop.

"Clearly the problem at Vettel's stop helped, as did the fact that, for a long time, Hamilton kept the two Red Bulls behind him, but I have to say that in the dry we were very strong. Earlier today [Sunday], I had the privilege to drive the 375 F1 and then, a few hours later, to win the same race for Ferrari sixty years later. In our team, there are children of people who worked for the Scuderia back then and they have the same love and passion for racing as there was back then.

"We head for Germany with our morale up and with more self-confidence. The Red Bull is still the strongest car, but the improvements we are introducing are working. When we were struggling at the start of the season, we did not get downhearted, but instead we reacted: now we have reaped the rewards."

Felipe Massa: "First of all, I want to congratulate Fernando, who drove a great race to give Ferrari a very important win. Sixty years ago, Gonzalez won for the first time and today [Sunday], history has repeated itself. I think we have made a step forward this weekend in terms of performance, both in qualifying and the race.

"It's true my pace wasn't amazing today [Sunday], but that could have had something to do with the fact my floor was damaged, after I hit something at Turn 6; maybe a part from another car. In terms of the strategy, maybe we could brought forward the second stop a bit, but the team did not want me to end up having to complete the final part of the race on tyres that were too worn.

"In the end, I closed right up to Hamilton, as he was struggling, but when I was behind him, he fought and I only just missed out by a fraction on getting past him. We have to continue to push on the development of the car: there are many races still ahead of us and having improved the car means we can feel more confident about the second half of the season."

Red Bull

Sebastian Vettel: "I had an excellent start and with hindsight I wouldn't have minded if there had been more rain because I really liked the conditions when we were racing on the intermediate tyres. We seemed to be in very good shape and I was pulling away.

"We probably waited a little bit too long to go onto the dry tyres, but it was right as there was no need for us to take a risk and we were in control. At the pit stop we had a problem - the car was already back on the floor, but then we had to lift it back up again. By then I had lost the lead and came out in third. I struggled to pass Lewis, I thought I could go much quicker, but I never really had the chance.

"Once I was very close, but it didn't work. We got him at the pit stop, but by then Fernando was already gone. It was a good result for us, but we had some problems and, if you're not at your optimum, then there's always someone there to beat you. Ferrari was very quick all weekend and they deserved the victory today [Sunday]."

Mark Webber: "It was a mixed race, it was very slippery at the start with the intermediate tyres, half the track was dry and half was wet and we had to wait for the slicks to come into play. Michael pitted first and we were waiting to hear what his pace was like.

"On my in-lap I had a massive moment in Becketts, so Fernando closed on me a bit, I went across the grass, so it was a bit scrappy there - then we had an interesting race after that.

"I felt strong at the start of each stint, but less so towards the end of the stints - both Seb and I were having trouble with the tyres at the end of the race. I tried to pass him, but not quite, and that was the race."

McLaren

Lewis Hamilton: "Before the end, I had to start saving fuel: you have to lift and coast, which means the brake temperatures drop. So I had no brakes, and that's why I kept locking up. That allowed Mark [Webber] to slip ahead of me and meant I was defending from Felipe [Massa] in the closing laps.

"On the final lap, the team gave me the order to push as hard as I could, but Felipe had already closed the gap by that point, so it was difficult to defend. That last lap was as close as it's ever going to get! In the final corner I stayed on the inside and braked as hard as I could.

"Fortunately, we both got around the corner in one piece and I just pipped him at the finish. The support I had when I crossed the line was as if I'd won the race - so I want to say a huge thank-you to everyone.

"In fact, the fans have been amazing all weekend: I've never seen so many people at Silverstone, and I could feel them all spurring me on. I think this was one of the best British Grands Prix of all time, and I'm already looking forward to coming back again next year!"

Jenson Button: "So much could have happened in my race today [Sunday]. Before my final stop I'd had great pace, and I'd caught Lewis, Sebastian [Vettel] and Mark. When they peeled off into the pits, I stayed out for one more lap and I think I would have come out alongside, or even ahead of, Mark after the stop.

"But, as I turned out of the pitlane, my right-front wheel came off and I was forced to stop immediately. The guy on the front-right lost the wheelnut and turned to take another; as he turned, I think his hand moved and the guy on the front jack felt that that was the trigger to lower the car. Then the lollipop lifted. Hopefully, we won't have that sort of issue again.

"It's disappointing - especially in front of the home crowd - because I was really enjoying the race. I'd had good pace all afternoon and really enjoyed a couple of good battles - particularly passing Felipe on the inside into Vale.

"I think we gave the fans something to cheer, although it was a shame we couldn't have scored more world championship points: anyone who had pace at the end of the race had a good chance, and I think there was definitely a podium to be had here today[Sunday]."

Credit: ESPN STAR (www.espnstar.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment