Monday, July 11, 2011

GreenBkk.com Formula 1 | Schumi disappointed by performance

Schumi disappointed by performance

Monday 11th July 2011

Mercedes' Michael Schumacher believes he could have finished as high as fourth at Sunday's British Grand Prix, but only has himself to blame.

Mercedes GP

Michael Schumacher: "My result today [Sunday] is a bit of a shame, and of course I am not happy about it. I think fifth or even fourth place would not have been out of question today [Sunday] thanks to the superb job the guys back in Brackley and Brixworth have done. I would so much have wished to bring them some decent points this evening [Sunday] when we go back to the factory for a BBQ with their families.

"But unfortunately, and due to my fault, I cannot. Having used DRS for the first time in the race, I was arriving at the corner with over-run. Underestimating the effect, my braking was not good and this is how the collision happened. It was right to get a penalty but why it had to be a stop-go, and not a drive-through penalty, I would like to understand better as I felt it was too hard.

"Anyway, the good thing is that step-by-step, the hard work of our team is paying off more and more, and this is a good feeling heading towards our next home race."

Nico Rosberg: "I'm pretty pleased with our result this weekend. First of all because in qualifying we had the potential to be in the top five, and secondly we had a really good strategy in the race. My start was not good, so being able to eventually finish in sixth place is a nice result for us.

"And hopefully it's the start of an upward trend, before our next home race in Germany, so I'm looking forward to confirming our performance at the Nürburgring. In the next few days, we will analyse the whole weekend with our new developments on the car, and will work hard on improving it even further"

Sauber

Sergio Perez: "I think it was a good race and a very good result for the team. In the beginning the conditions were quite difficult, but we managed to stay out of trouble. The strategy was good and my pit stops were perfect. Unfortunately I couldn't overtake Nico (Rosberg).

"I was very close but he was too fast on the straights. Overall I am happy and now the difficult times are behind me. After the accident it took me time to get back into the rhythm of the season, and find the momentum I had before it. In two weeks' time I shall be even stronger."

Kamui Kobayashi: "It is a real shame because our overall performance was good this weekend. In today's [Sunday] race I was very unlucky. I think there is not a lot for me to say about the accident with Michael (Schumacher). We were not side by side, and he obviously hit the rear of my car.

"From then on I had to drive with a damaged car. Then I had bad luck with the pit stop, was given the stop and go penalty, and finally had to stop because I was told on the radio there was an oil leak and I should pull off the track."

Toro Rosso

Jaime Alguersuari: "In the early stages, all I was concentrating on was staying on the track, as it was very slippery and I wanted to make no mistakes and get to the finish. I was definitely faster than Heidfeld and Schumacher, around most of the lap, as was the case in Valencia.

"But we could not make the most of this as I then lost out to them going down the straight. I'm not sure why that was the case, maybe we ran with a bit more downforce than them. However, I am happy for the team, who I thank for doing a good job, as getting back into the points from eighteenth on the grid was a good result after we failed to make the most of the Soft tyre in qualifying."

Sebastien Buemi: "I'm a bit disappointed as I feel we could have picked up some points today [Sunday]. I was running at a good pace. I would like to see the footage with Di Resta again to see exactly what happened, but from the cockpit, I was on the dry line, he tried to come up the inside of me where the track surface was still very wet.

"So he could not brake as hard as if he had been on the dry and I felt an impact. He had touched my left rear tyre which shredded it. But that's racing, so it's best to forget it and start thinking about the next race at the Nurburgring."

Credit: ESPN STAR (www.espnstar.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment