Monday, July 25, 2011

GreenBkk.com Formula 1 | Button: I'm out of the title fight

Button: I'm out of the title fight

Monday 25th July 2011


Jenson Button is hoping to celebrate his 200th race start in Hungary with a podium finish but concedes he's out of the title fight.

Having won Canadian GP back in June, Button had hoped it would kick start his campaign but instead the Brit has claimed just one P6 and suffered two retirements in the ensuing grands prix.

And neither retirement was his fault.

The first, in Silverstone, was due to a loose wheel nut while the second retirement, which came at Sunday's German GP, was down to a hydraulics problem.

The 2009 World Champ reckons his back-to-back failures have now well and truly put him out of the title race as he trails Sebastian Vettel by 110 points.

"It's disappointing to have so many failures, I appear to be suffering a lot of bad luck," said Button.

"Hopefully we'll be over this soon, we can have a bit more luck on our side and we can have some good races.

"But as for the Championship, I don't think we're fighting for that any more, so I'm just going to go out there and do the best at every race I'm in.

"My intention now is to be back on the podium for my 200th grand prix."

Explaining Sunday's issues, which saw the Brit told over the radio to bring his MP4-26 in and retire it, he said: "This was not a good weekend for me.

"But it happens, although I enjoyed fighting my way through. It was very exciting and I was having a lot of fun out there.

"It affects the gears and the steering, and it's not just that you can lose the power in the steering, it's that it can do whatever it wants, and that's the worry.

"But I guess it's better to happen in a race where I'm not so competitive, although it's two failures now in the last two races, which is very disappointing."

Credit: PLANETF1.com (www.planetf1.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment